Will U.s. Expats Have To Pay Into Obamacare?

Patagoniakid

Registered
I'm guessing if you file a tax return (likely if on Social Security) will "they" take a fee to fund the system even if you don't take part in it?

I'm guessing if you file a tax return (likely if on Social Security) will "they" take a fee to fund the system even if you don't take part in it?

If you're on Social Security, you're also on Medicare (which is more comprehensive than the ACA).

Both ghost and ajoknoblauch provided "insufficient" answers to this question.

An individual under the age of 65 can receive Social Security (starting at 62) and therefore would not yet be enrolled in Medicare, As a result , they would be required to comply with the rules of Obamacare...(have an approved plan)....until they reach the age of 65.

As far as I know, any US citizen who lives outside the USA for at least 330 (it could be 335) days per year would be exempt.

Both ghost and ajoknoblauch provided "insufficient" answers to this question.

An individual under the age of 65 can receive Social Security (starting at 62) and therefore would not yet be enrolled in Medicare, As a result , they would be required to comply with the rules of Obamacare...(have an approved plan)....until they reach the age of 65.

As far as I know, any US citizen who lives outside the USA for at least 330 (it could be 335) days per year would be exempt.
Thanks for filling in the blanks for those who can't do it alone.

I know that as an expat I can't even get travel insurance when traveling abroad from an American company because I reside outside the U.S. and have to buy it from Asatej. I can only assume if an expat is exempt from travel insurance they're probably exempt from Obama Care. The question is how to prove that you're exempt and what paperwork would you need to provide to your accountant.

I am looking, albeit belatedly, for a document to consult about all this. Do I need to enroll in something Obamacare-wise in order to avoid a penalty? Is Medicare enough? Since I lived out of the US for more than 330 days in 2013, does that matter for some reason? Feeling like I haven't been paying enough attention!!

I'm pretty sure if you are on Medicare you don't need to do anything, because you already have health insurance and it damn better be govt approved, because it's government made!

Back