Windows 7 Black Screen - Help?

AngelinBA

Registered
:eek: Hi there, have run into a problem with our home computer. We have Windows 7 on one of those cheap Argentine assembled computers. After we log in, we only get a black screen. We can see the mouse but nothing else.
I have tried starting in safe mode and following Windows instructions I did a system restore. Now we can't even see Safe Mode - black screen all the way.

I am pretty much computer illiterate (but good at following instructions), my 3 lovely kids are the ones who did this to the computer so you can imagine that there's not much knowledge there either.

Other windows forums etc suggest booting from the windows 7 disk and doing system recovery and other things that seem to be well explained but one wrong move by me and computer is dead for life.

I have the disk the computer came with, called Gigabyte it has among other things, Microsoft Windows Vista/xp/7.
Is this the windows 7 disk they are talking about?
Will I lose all of my docs, etc if I use this disk to reinstall windows? (I'm guessing that I will)
Is there anything I can do to fix this that doesn't involve losing my beloved photos?
Many thanks for any light anyone can shed on this matter that is in laymans terms.

Only advice I can give you for now: don't try too many "exotic" solutions for now if you wish to keep photos and such (which can't be replaced).

At worst (if you find no solution), you can buy a second HD, format it and install Win 7 on it then you might be able to access your original HD where your docs and photos are.

If you have two PC's in your house, you can first connect the HD from the other PC to your machine, then press F8 or F10 on the loading screen to boot from the second PC's HD. Then you'll be able to check if you can access the HD which has a problem and eventually transfer all your precious docs and photos.

FrenchJurist's advice is good - what I would add is that you could try putting the install disks in and seeing how far you get. It will give you sufficient warning before doing any wiping of data. And whatever you do, DO NOT PARTITION any of the hard drives if it gives you that option.

Good luck

Thanks guys.
What you say makes sense. I think it also makes sense to admit my own limitations and call in the techs. I was hoping this would be some kind of simple fix (y'know, bullet point instructions I can follow and then feel like a superhero when it all turns out alright), but anything that involves joining 2 computers or buying another HD (I'm a poor pesos earning expat!) is all a bit beyond my area of knowledge. :)

Where do u buy these computer software in BA. such as windows or mac software . I mean, on the streets.

I have had 2 hard drive crashes on Windows 7, both started with the black screen of death.. one of those times I lost everything including personal folders in Outlook. You may look in the forum for notebookfix, he is highly recomended for repairs.

Good luck.

Where do u buy these computer software in BA. such as windows or mac software . I mean, on the streets.
Mine actually came with the machine, it's an official copy of Windows 7. I had much better luck with the 'trucho' copy on my previous computer, worked 2 years without a problem. I've only had this machine 3 months!

You mentioned you did a system restore already (from within Windows) and still the black screen. Hard to diagnose from afar, but it's possibly you have a defective (or loose) memory stick.
If you have, or can get a hold of a System Recovery disc, you run this right from bootup. You can do a system restore from here (which can be more effective than from within Windows), and you can also do scandisk which will check for a recover/repair any bad sectors of the drive (marks them as off limits for use).
A black screen with a visible mouse, could be the memory stick. Even with a virus you usually can still use safe mode and see boot options as well.
But yes, sounds like it may be more than your up for.
Depending on how important and how much data you have, if all else fails, remove the drive, get an ide or sata to usb adapter and copy to someone elses hard drive all the important data (you'll see in the 2nd computer as an external drive). After you're sure all the important data is copied over, format the drive (unless of course the drive itself has failed!). Put it back in the machine and do a fresh install of Windows.
First though, consider that it could be the memory. Someone should open it and check. Reseat the stick(s). If there are 2, try one at a time.
Could be several things naturally. You most likely need support.
Good luck.

Thanks Argento, you're right that I need help, me playing around inside there would be lots of fun but almost as disastrous as if it were my 2 1/2 year old so I'll just call in the experts and make sure to pass on all the ideas people have given me here.

Back