Withdrawing Usd From Banco De La Nación?

max2013

Registered
I just arrived in Buenos Aires from Europe with little cash (it's ok, take your time to let the laughter subside, thread will still be here when you're back), so I went to Banco de la Nación to withdraw some pesos, grinding teeth thinking of the money that by now I knew would be lost in the process.

So I chose the "Cirrus" circuit on the ATM and was very surprised when in the next step I wask asked whether I wanted to draw pesos or USD. Everything I've read in past threads here and elsewhere says that you can't draw USD in Argentina from an international account (to top it off, my account is even in EUR). I still drew only a small amount of pesos instead—who knows, if one can actually withdraw USD it might be allowed only once, or once per month, or some equally nonsensical limit which, despite nonsense, can't be ruled out.

Did anyone go ahead with the USD option at Banco de la Nacion? If so, what happened?

Hahahahahahaha......that WOULD be if you have a US dollar account with them......but these days, and actually for the last year or so, most of the ATMs don't dispense dollars (even tho they list it as a option)to access dollars these days you almost always have to enter the bank and withdraw them from the teller...after all, what could we write or complain about if life were that easy? "ATMs mienten!"

Welcome my friend. Argentina is a great teacher about how to deal with the unexpected. It will make you a stronger person.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHA! .... gasp! ... Oh, it hurts! gasp! gasp!

That's what you'll hear from the ATM if you push that button ... but it will be in Spanish :)

Try Zoom. Otherwise, you'll be crying.

Awww this is so cute, it's like that girl who asking us if we would sell (or if we knew anyone that would) dollars at/near the official rate.

You see, there is no way to do this other than going to Colonia or Santiago or finding someone here who will give you near the blue rate if you wire/Paypal them the money.

Welcome to Argentina, where Dollars are like the Hotel California: YOU can checkout anytime you like, but THEY can never leave. :)

This is just the way the ATM's software is designed.

I used to see this option when I didn't have a USD account. And then I saw it when I did, but it wouldn't spit out dollars, even before the USD restrictions.

Ah, how young and naive we all were in those dollar days of yore.

Back