Work and Salary Expectations

citygirl

Registered
It's very interesting for me that there is an implied expectation that employees will receive 25% + salary increases simply for showing up and doing their jobs.

I'm curious how other managers and business owners motivate their employees? With costs increasing so quickly, how do you reward top performers? We simply aren't in a position to offer the 30 or 40% raises that employees seem to feel are warranted on an annual basis.

On a side note, I also find it interesting that not once have I ever received a thank you from an employee for a raise or performance bonus that was given. The attitude I consistently receive is that it is expected that they will receive large increases and bonuses and that it is not something that one says thank you for.

I'm finding it quite challenging. I offered a promotion and a large increase to an employee recently. The response was "I was hoping for more" Have other employers experienced this? How do you respond?

Sometimes I feel like I have such a different expectation of work and compensation that I struggle to connect with employees here.

Anyway, just curious what experiences and suggestion other managers or business owners have.

If they perform much better than expected and you give them a bonus, you are basically thanking them, which is fair, but why would they thank you back? most likely they feel that if they are not appreciated and valued they can get any other similar job very fast. I don´t know what your business is about, but it is possible that there is a high demand in the market (?) I for one, would thank back, to return the courtesy...

Nikad - for me, it's an implied expectation. A bonus is a recognition of hard work and is a "gift" if you will. Again, it's just a cultural difference. I have always sent a courtesy thank you note to my bosses when receiving any type of bonus as they certainly didn't "have" to give me one. It's also a way to acknowledge that you received the news. The first time I gave out bonuses, I had to call my team lead to make sure they got it as not one person acknowledged the email. Which again - I find bizarre. But that's not really the main issue.

For me, it's about keeping employees motivated and rewarding them when there is already an expectation for large increases. As far as the salaries, we are paying above average and well above average given the age of my employees. I could easily find other employees but that's not what I want to do. It's just challenging to reward people when they expect large increases as a certainty. Hence my question to others who may face the same challenges.

It has been quite some time that I have not worked for an employer. But I always thanked for bonuses, gifts, Xmas gifts, etc. I find it very rude not to do so. I have never worked in the US, but here apparently you always have to ask for more than what you expect to actually get, just so your employer gets the idea that you have a high self esteem about your capabilities, etc. That might be the reason they do not say a single word, if they thank you, they might feel they do not deserve it (???)

I think there is a lot of suspicion in people's attitudes here. Whatever rise you give them, most will believe you are undercutting them. Also, how can rises keep up with inflation? The benefit will be shortlived so there's not a lot to be happy about.

I think raising salaries to make up for inflation is relatively easy as those raises are translated to prices, etc that fuel the inflation circle. Companies that ouc might source, like call centers, etc, will find it more difficult and they cannot translate those raises into their prices... they wither cut profits, or give no raises, they in a more complex situation I think.

The capitalist should thank his workers for making him earn money without doing nothing, other than pay an advance to them to make him earn money.

Generally wages are crap compared to what the capitalist and upper management earns, and no secrecy arrrangements can hide this fact from the employees. They know how much they work, and they know how much the boys upstairs do, and how much they DON´T work.

So probably the workers don´t feel like saying thank you for the meagre champagne drips that get to them after the party has finished.

And yes, I think I will rob a bank before working for a corporation again. Sometimes burning bridges to office hell is the only way to maintain your sanity.

marksoc said:
The capitalist should thank his workers for making him earn money without doing nothing, other than pay an advance to them to make him earn money.

Generally wages are crap compared to what the capitalist and upper management earns, and no secrecy arrrangements can hide this fact from the employees. They know how much they work, and they know how much the boys upstairs do, and how much they DON´T work.

So probably the workers don´t feel like saying thank you for the meagre champagne drips that get to them after the party has finished.

And yes, I think I will rob a bank before working for a corporation again.

Wow so much hate! Nobody forces anybody to take a job, everybody can work on their own or run their own business if they wanted to, yet there are lines of people waiting to take jobs...do you think they are all stupid? or not bright enough to do it on their own?

And yes, I think I will rob a bank before working for a corporation again.[/quote]

For Christ`s sake...we aren`t talking IBM or YPF with regards to expat business owners..we aretalking people who offer a respectful and fun workplace FULL of benefits. You sound like a deceased embittered employee who couldnt make it in the real world of business so you need to blame it rather than your own failings for your own lack of success. Grow up and get with the program ie the real world!

yet there are lines of people waiting to take jobs...do you think they are all stupid? or not bright enough to do it on their own?
Last time I checked, most of the people need jobs that pay a wage in a capitalist economy not to die of hunger. Or loss their wife to divorce, or some other stuff.

So, yes, they are coerced into it.

Not so much hate from my part, I am tired of living in such a primitive era. Please lets not enter into a debate about capitalism, even if I started it. I don´t know what those workers think, I can suspect that in Argentina we don´t like to act as slaves so much, or simply the economy is good enough right now to make people proud of themselves. Anyway, cultural differences, or a good job market at the moment, take your pick.

Back