Work, Visa, and Tax advice

KevinJH

Registered
Dear Expats,

I am from the states currently living and teaching English in Buenos Aires. I have also been doing some contract work for a company back in the States to help supplement some income.

I now have an opportunity to become a full-time employee with this company back in the states and do all the work remotely while living here in Argentina.

First question ....

I know I will be taxed on this money from the States. Do I also need to be taxed on the money here in Argentina? Is there anything I or the company in the States needs to be aware of?

Second question ....

I still have physical address and bank account home in the states. Is that sufficient for direct deposit, etc? I use a debit card here to transfer and withdraw funds when needed? Would i still need an account here in Argentina?

Third question ....

Currently I am on a tourist Visa, doing the border hop every three months. Although I am in a relationship and could get married with an Argentine, I don't want this to be the sheer reason to obtain a residency Visa. I heard something about the Rentista Visa. If I make $2000 a month and get a letter from my bank showing proof of funds I could get a Rentista Visa. Does the future employer have an obligation with this proof' or is just a Apositlle Certified and translated document from the financial institution enough?

If I could meet with someone and talk about this I would be most grateful. Thanks. Kevin

You can't use income earned abroad to qualify for a rentista visa. The foreign income must be passive (from investments).

There's no reason for you to open a bank account in Argentina if you are not being paid here.

If the company you are working for is "licensed" to do business in Argentina they should be paying you in Argentina. You would also need to have a work visa.

It doesn't sound like that is the case. You won't be the only foreigner being paid in another country while living here as a tourist.

I've never heard of a tourist paying income taxes in Argentina.

There are no negative implications that I know of for your employer.

I have been here for about 1 year and decided to stay indefinitely. I am receiving a retirement deposit into my US account every month. What is the next step to make everything legal and possible get a DNI sometime in the future because my ultimate plan is to purchase something here.

cruizes said:
I have been here for about 1 year and decided to stay indefinitely. I am receiving a retirement deposit into my US account every month. What is the next step to make everything legal and possible get a DNI sometime in the future because my ultimate plan is to purchase something here.

You don't need a DNI to "purchase soemthing here" but you'll wish you had one when you want to sell it (assuming you are referring to property).

You may quailify for the visa pensionado if migraciones considers your retirement income sufficient. The visa rentista requires at least $8000 pesos per month foreign income from investements, but there may not be a "set "amount for the visa pensionado. That's the last info I had...about six months ago. I belive the figure "quoted" then was $3500 pesos per month.

KevinJH said:
Dear Expats,

I am from the states currently living and teaching English in Buenos Aires. I have also been doing some contract work for a company back in the States to help supplement some income.

I now have an opportunity to become a full-time employee with this company back in the states and do all the work remotely while living here in Argentina.

First question ....

I know I will be taxed on this money from the States. Do I also need to be taxed on the money here in Argentina? Is there anything I or the company in the States needs to be aware of?

Second question ....

I still have physical address and bank account home in the states. Is that sufficient for direct deposit, etc? I use a debit card here to transfer and withdraw funds when needed? Would i still need an account here in Argentina?

Third question ....

Currently I am on a tourist Visa, doing the border hop every three months. Although I am in a relationship and could get married with an Argentine, I don't want this to be the sheer reason to obtain a residency Visa. I heard something about the Rentista Visa. If I make $2000 a month and get a letter from my bank showing proof of funds I could get a Rentista Visa. Does the future employer have an obligation with this proof' or is just a Apositlle Certified and translated document from the financial institution enough?

If I could meet with someone and talk about this I would be most grateful. Thanks. Kevin

glgl

If you are living in Argentina you don't have to pay income taxes in the U.S. and you are supposed to in Argentina. As Steve says I doubt many people actually do, although I don't think income tax evasion is a good way to start off a new life in a new country.

Philsword said:
glgl

If you are living in Argentina you don't have to pay income taxes in the U.S. and you are supposed to in Argentina. As Steve says I doubt many people actually do, although I don't think income tax evasion is a good way to start off a new life in a new country.

Are you sure?

If you are living in Argentina (without residency or a work permit in Argentina) and you are working for a US company and are being paid in the US I believe you have to pay taxes (including FICA) on that income in the US.

In order to qualify for the foreign income exemption (which is not automatic and must be "applied for" on a special form) you must live outside the US a minimum of 330 days of the year. I think you also have to be paid outside the US to qualify for the exemption, but I'm not certain. Unless you pay into a social security type system in that country you definitely have to pay FICA in the US.

If you are living in Argentina more than 180 days of ther year you are supposed to pay taxes on your worldwide income even if means double taxation, but I don't know any temporary residents who have been paying taxes on their US income, even if they are "supposed" to.

With the new 180 day "in country" requirement for renewals of temporary visas that may soon change.

steveinbsas said:
Are you sure?

If you are living in Argentina (without residency or a work permit in Argentina) and you are working for a US company and are being paid in the US I believe you have to pay taxes (including FICA) on that income in the US.

In order to qualify for the foreign income exemption (which is not automatic and must be "applied for" on a special form) you must live outside the US a minimum of 330 days of the year. I think you also have to be paid outside the US to qualify for the exemption, but I'm not certain. Unless you pay into a social security type system in that country you definitely have to pay FICA in the US.

If you are living in Argentina more than 180 days of ther year you are supposed to pay taxes on your worldwide income even if means double taxation, but I don't know any temporary residents who have been paying taxes on their US income, even if they are "supposed" to.

With the new 180 day "in country" requirement for renewals of temporary visas that may soon change.

gl

Well I'm assuming he meets the residency requirements fills out the forms. What I am talking about is income taxes. He says he is a contract employee, which I am going to guess means he gets a 1099 at year end and not a W2. If he meets all the requirements then he would be eligible for the income exclusion, he would still have to pay self-employment taxes (1099 contractor) or FICA if an W2 employee. I believe if he meets the residency requirements he would still be able to use the income exclusion even if its a paycheck that's paid in the U.S.

The above is correct. And one doesn't need to "apply" for the exemption, there is simply a form that one fills out when doing taxes. There are several ways to meet the conditions for an exemption - the physical residence test wherein one must be residing outside the US for 330 days, having a tax home n another country, etc. I'm not a CPA but I will say that you can work for a US company, be paid by said company in USD into an account in the US and still qualify for an exemption from income tax.

Philsword said:
glgl

If there is some way for anyone not living in the US to get out of US taxes, please tell.
I am British, I have never lived in the US, I have not spent more than two days there in my life; Yet I have to pay US income tax on money I earn from my US shares.:(

Back