Working A Job In The States As Well As In Argentina

saltbench

Registered
Hey everyone,

I was just curious if anyone had done this and/or the legal repercussions. I might possibly have a job legally here in BA en blanco that will be giving me my DNI. However, I am currently working part-time ( but not many hours) for a company in the States and i was wondering if this is somehow going to get me in trouble in the States or not. I currently still pay all my taxes back home and i continue to plan on doing it, but i wasn't sure if this is somehow going to get me tangled in an illegal web or not.

Advice? Experience?

Thanks

As a US citizen or permanent resident, you will owe US taxes on your worldwide income, including any income from Argentina. I don't know anything about Argentinian taxes, but you should check if your US income is also taxable in Argentina. Your local income obviously will be.
I don't really understand your "illegal web" concern - if you pay your taxes and work legally, what are you worried about?

EDIT: google "IRS publication 54" for some light reading on this. Suerte!

I was just unsure if legally i could work a job in the States ( my company doesn't know i live in Argentina, but i've always worked remotely from my computer so i figured it wasn't necessary to disclose to them since we don't ever physically see each other) AND also legally work a job in Argentina. I'm new to this so i just wasn't sure if there were legal repercussions that's all. Obviously i am going to pay my taxes here as well as there. Just was curious if i was doing something illegal without knowing it or not.

As a US citizen or permanent resident, you will owe US taxes on your worldwide income, including any income from Argentina. I don't know anything about Argentinian taxes, but you should check if your US income is also taxable in Argentina. Your local income obviously will be.
I don't really understand your "illegal web" concern - if you pay your taxes and work legally, what are you worried about?

Of course it's legal to "work" a job (remotely) in the States and have a job in Argentina, but, you will not have to pay US income taxes on the first $95,000 (approx) of any earned income in Argentina. You may have to pay Medicare and Social Security taxes in the US on all of your Argentine income and it might be a "good" idea to do so for the sake of building your "retirement" benefits.

The only way to get into trouble in the States with the IRS is not to report your income accurately on the correct forms.

Getting int "trouble" with your US employer is a different issue but it is not a question of doing anything that is illegal.

PS: Since migraciones won't be asking for US bank statements of proof of foreign income (since you would be getting a visa to work in Argentina), why would you even think of reporting (aka declaring) what you make in the US to AFIP in Argentina? Unless you have already been doing so, why would you start now?

Steveinbsas: if that's what the law requires, the answer should be obvious.

Steveinbsas: if that's what the law requires, the answer should be obvious.

ROTFLOL!

Since you didn't know enough about the tax laws in the USA to give accurate advice, you probably don't know that the government employees of Argentina who extort money from foreigners (one of them being me) pay no taxes on the extorted funds.

I remember a post here in the forum of a foreigner who went to AFIP to pay taxes on his foreign income. The agent was very surprised and told him to declare less than he earned, if anything at all.

don't you have to pay 1% of your global assets per year in argentina when you have a DNI? just wondering. when buying a property in arg I gave them an accurate financial statement. I don't have a DNI

Steveinbsas: what exactly is inaccurate about what I said? "If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income is generally subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you are living." This is not a matter of opinion, it comes straight from the IRS publication I pointed to above. Yes, there may be deductions and exclusions, but there are conditions for those, and I have no way of knowing if the OP qualifies for them. By the way, the foreign income exclusion you refer to is 99,200 for 2014, so it's you who posted inaccurate info. And your cavalier attitude towards tax laws suggests that the OP should think twice before following your advice.

Back