Working remotely from Argentina.

EL_TIGRE_de_Tigre

Registered
Given how important and popular this particular topic is, it needs a dedicated thread.

In addition to what one can do remotely for an income source, the tax ramifications are of interest as well.

This thread should become a great source of information for people who are trying to figure things out for themselves.

Hopefully many people will chime in and share what they do. I'll go first:

In addition to being a business owner, I am a PPT. Anyone have an idea what that is?

PPT = Private Professional Trader.

Simply put, I actively manage my own portfolio. I trade my own account. Equities and equity options. No COMMODITIES, No FOREX.

Over the course of a lot of time, I have honed my skills and understanding of the financial markets to the point where I have gotten quite good. My returns, and more importantly, the consistency of my returns, are such that I can flourish in any kind of market environment. I have the ability to reap significant sums of money.

I believe what I do, is the quintessential remote gig. It is a lot harder to do than it looks, but if you can do it well, you have it made in the shade.

What I do does not need the permission of another (EMPLOYER), nor does it need the approval of another (CLIENT / CUSTOMER). I answer to no one. I make my own hours. I determine how much money I want to make by simply allocating risk capital and adjusting my risk to reward ratio.

I can work from anywhere in the world as long as I have a high speed internet connection, two high end lap top computers and two high end smartphones. I favor two of each for redundancy. They are almost never needed, but the redundancy gives me peace of mind. (It's cheap insurance against disaster.)

Is this the same as being a day trader? Supposedly being a day trader is extremely stressful?

Is this the same as being a day trader? Supposedly being a day trader is extremely stressful?
I generally don't day trade. At best, my results have been a bit better than even on the whole.

It has always been a tough thing to do well and with consistency. Today, with all of the technology you are up against, it is even more challenging.

I am a swing trader and an investor. Each has a place in my bag of tricks.

A good swing trader, which I think I am, can do very well vs the algos because the time frame is generous enough to survive for the projected move.

I am currently earning my living writing, but very interested in learning to make at least some extra income from trading. I'm also looking at swing trading.

I had some prior experience a few years ago with day trading and a "coach" that turned out to be a mistake and a waste of time. Recently I decided to go at things myself and learn from the ground up. I've been paper trading for a couple of months and am starting to do well my third month in. I'm planning to give it another 2 or 3 months to see if it continues or if I'm just getting lucky, but I think I have two or three solid strategies that are working for me.

Right now I'm basically on my own, I don't really have anyone to talk to about ideas or questions or anything. Would love to find a few people that are serious about it and trade ideas and information.

What platform are you trading on? I used Trade Station in the past but I'm using ThinkOrSwim from Schwab/TDAmeritrade now. I'm not a genius or anything, but I am doing pretty well with the scripting language to make my own studies, strategies, and filters.

The humble brag thread.

Like Fooze, I am a writer and have been since my third month here in 2010. I try my hardest to stay away from the general online writing scene and lament everyday that I am not really writing what I want to write. Certainly, I didn't go through university to be the writer I am. Still, I know that few people are lucky enough to be working in what is basically their dream job, so I value my position because being a writer is the only thing I ever wanted to do.

What I have found during the pandemic, although it has been growing for years, is that most people think they can be a writer. It's a little like teaching English... "Hey, I am strapped for cash, what can I do? Teach English or become a writer." Doing it and doing it well are two different things. No, actually doing it and doing it successfully are two different things.

I have not done it as I dont have the time for it as yet.

1. doing you tube videos on a niche subject - any topic on which you can make 100 odd videos right off the bat can bevery lucrative and a great source of passive income..I know people making obscene amount of money via you tube channels.

2. Also writing books and self publishing can be very lucrative.. Even if the book sold 3 usd and you sell 100 copies a month and have 3-4 books such as this, it can be a great source of passive income enough to suffice in BA.

3. Being a freelancer consultant on any topic of your expertise (which can be a sub business from your book or you tube channel) can be very lucrative also..and helping people via zoom or skype.

4. Selling online courses from teacherly.com for 499 usd per course or even 20 usd per course can be lucrative and can be a sub business from your you tube canal.

5. Creating a twitter profile and write about your niche on which you are an expert on could be in lieu of a you tube channel if you are camera shy or dont have patience to write a book. Its not hard to if one is consistent and out good content on your expertise and gains followers and then use your influencer position to sell anything.

6. Selling on amazon.com used to be very lucrative but I believe its an overkill now. However, there is always some room. Best thing is you dont have to live in USA for it or ever touch the product with your own hands. You could combine it with point 6 and add links of your amazon products in your tweets.

I believe all 6 of them can be done easily sitting right here in BA., with zero local contacts or DNI or any special visa or a local bank account here. However, 99% people lack the patience to go ahead and actually do it. Most people have too much inertia, are lazy or lack self confidence or self esteem to plunge in any of these 6 ideas.

7. Right now, businesses are subject to various regulations that make it very expensive to have full-time employees. Health insurance, provident fund contributions, legal liabilities for sexual harassment claims, etc. all make having more employees undesirable.

I see more businesses relying on freelancers wherever they can in order to escape administrative costs and to have easy “exits” (end of contract) once their work is done. A good chance for people to shift/move to BA and still work in first world economies.

And more people will be able to freelance because they will have more free time (no commute, etc.) and because internet connections are faster than ever.

Virtual Assistants [VA] is already becoming “a thing” worldwide. The employers willl be able to take advantage of the relatively low overhead that comes with contractor labor. And Argentina could be the perfect place to execute it.

8. Religious Products: The decline in employment due to China Virus and the government’s ability to spend (in real money terms) will lead to a lot of hard times for many people. This will probably result in a lot of people seeking religion for mental and moral support.Now is probably a good time to think of religion-related products to sell. I am not sure, what but its an idea for sure which can be executed remotely or from BA.

9. Camera Girls - For good looking women, its a great opportunity to for webcam in first world markets and earn in USD or Euros and work from BA.

https://onlyfans.com/ - is a good place to start for the female readers who may be interested.

Earlier people used to move “from small towns to big cities” to find opportunities, and now the equation has changed “from offline to online”.

10. This brings me to the final suggestion - Again for women who may be appalled by my suggestion in point 9.

I think working from home, should be an overall positive for women, but only capable women, not the women who rely on their “feminine charm” to get ahead.

I know lots of people who stopped hiring women after #metoo became a thing, and I know many people who would refuse to be in the same room alone with a woman.

This was not a good thing for competent women. Working from home completely eliminates this problem. On the other side of the coin, the women who relied on their sexuality to get ahead find that their competitive advantage is now gone.

This is all good news for employers because now they no longer need to worry about sexual harassment suits while also getting to pick from a broader talent pool. This means women have a great chance to do well online from Argentina, without being an extrepreneur or a writer or a content creator or continue to live in their boring first world expensive cold climate country.

Hope one of my 10 points is useful to someone reading them.

Last edited:
did you seriously just suggest starting an Onlyfans? LOL

I am currently earning my living writing, but very interested in learning to make at least some extra income from trading. I'm also looking at swing trading.

I had some prior experience a few years ago with day trading and a "coach" that turned out to be a mistake and a waste of time. Recently I decided to go at things myself and learn from the ground up. I've been paper trading for a couple of months and am starting to do well my third month in. I'm planning to give it another 2 or 3 months to see if it continues or if I'm just getting lucky, but I think I have two or three solid strategies that are working for me.

Right now I'm basically on my own, I don't really have anyone to talk to about ideas or questions or anything. Would love to find a few people that are serious about it and trade ideas and information.

What platform are you trading on? I used Trade Station in the past but I'm using ThinkOrSwim from Schwab/TDAmeritrade now. I'm not a genius or anything, but I am doing pretty well with the scripting language to make my own studies, strategies, and filters.
Hi Fooze,

It seems to be forbidden to discuss specifics of finances / financial management / investment advice etc ... on this website, so we can't go there.

In a generic way, the best I can say to you is this:

Anything someone can do well takes a lot of time and dedication before one succeeds. So no matter what you do, be prepared to supply the time and effort!

The humble brag thread.

Like Fooze, I am a writer and have been since my third month here in 2010. I try my hardest to stay away from the general online writing scene and lament everyday that I am not really writing what I want to write. Certainly, I didn't go through university to be the writer I am. Still, I know that few people are lucky enough to be working in what is basically their dream job, so I value my position because being a writer is the only thing I ever wanted to do.

What I have found during the pandemic, although it has been growing for years, is that most people think they can be a writer. It's a little like teaching English... "Hey, I am strapped for cash, what can I do? Teach English or become a writer." Doing it and doing it well are two different things. No, actually doing it and doing it successfully are two different things.
If you find yourself doing something you enjoy, you will never feel like you ever worked a day!

Back