World Politics & Argentineans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariano-BCN

Registered
Most of my friends are K, some of them ultra K. This means I can't talk much about national politics 'cause in their views politics are like a "Boca vs River": you're against me, me against you, no matter what".

The same when it comes down to world politics. "Imperialism vs Syria". I'm not in favor of another military expedition but for sure the dictator in Syria needs to be stopped by international pressure, boycott, whatever.

But questions like who or what is Syria or how about the mass murders with napalm or a discussion in a higher level is leading nowhere. And my friends are not dumb, at least they've an university degree but they're just ignorant, think the way people in Argentina think: in "terminos futbolistiscos".

It makes me sad and re-thinking how can I survive the guetto-way people think about politics in Argentina. So weird, so without having any clue about what they;re talking about.

I wonder how other expats deal with this issue.

Quite frankly I think you should just give up on trying to understand them/ making them understand. While you might think that it's possible to have a reasonable conversation about it you must realize it's not the case. They aren't ultra K because they're not passionate about their beliefs, it's simply not going to make sense. I just think that it's a waste of time trying to make someone understand something they'll never understand. Sort of like when you have to mispronounce an English word so they will understand what you're saying. Sucks, but I'm not about to give people free impromptu English lessons. I'd be wasting my time and the next time they say the word they'd probably say it wrong anyway.

I think you should steer clear and keep your conversations on subjects that you actually have a chance to get somewhere, like sports or, who knows. Basically whatever it is that got you to be friends to begin with.

firstly, anyone who still insists on being openly K, with all the mounting problems & corruption, has to be in need of psychological or psychiatric assistance. Wrong crowd to hang with. i would suggest mixing with Argentines who have lived in other countries. 74% of the country voted against the gov two weeks ago.

Noticed this issue too. It's a pain in the ass when you're a Poli Sci student too. -_-

The YPF-Cheveron deal and blatant Aerolineas nepotism (a word that doesn't seem to exist
in Arge) and bullying LAN/TAM, finally moved me from being "Oh, I don't know, I don't really
get involved in Arge politics debates" to "You guys are idiots if you don't see how bad this is
for your country."

I think people are right in comparing the K (and the super anti-K crowds too) to the tea party
conservative purity types. You just can negotiate/find common ground with a group of people
who are willing to shoot the country in the foot to avoid looking less than ideologically pure.

As for Syria, I've been trying to gage people's feelings here, and from my experience most people
simply don't have an opinion followed by being against any action from the international
community. Even back in America, Canada, and Europe most of my friends are leaning towards
"it's there problem, not ours" which is very upsetting in my opinion. I'm against war, and am
to the left of 80% of Americans, but I think if the UN's investigators find use of chemical
weapons by Assad's regime, and if Russia blocks a UN mandated military response, then a
set of strikes or interventions (not war) would be justified.

We've reached the Calvin Coolidge style of isolationism again where most countries don't
care/want to intervene in other nations' affairs which I respect, but when it comes to the issue
of Chemical/Biological weapons being used, and this time (unlike Iraq) it looks like it's actually
true, if we stand on the sidelines we are simply giving a green light to other nations that are
despotic enough to use said weapons on their populace that it does not come with ramifications.

There was a reason why after World War 1 everyone wanted to ban mustard and chlorine gas attacks,
and during/after Vietnam everyone wanted to ban Rainbow herbicides/Napalm, it leaves soldiers
suffering, dying, diseased, poisoned, disabled, sick and scarred years after battle, now imagine the
horror of being a civilian and this happening to you, or reading/watching the world say it's ok/your
problem as a powerless group of Syrian civilians and we will not enforce various chemical attack
bans 99% of the world has signed on to.

These are the horrors faced by Syrian civilians today, yesterday, and tomorrow. Even if these
people, as many on the right like to claim, "Hate America/West" they are humans, have human
rights, and among these are not to be chemically attacked by an insane personified devil who
has clamped down on dissent with ever drastic and barbaric means.

It is not clear who used the weapons, if it was Al Assad or the rebels...but the political scene of the lasts months shows us Al Assad conquering rebels bastions. Clearly, if anyone needed a change, were the rebels (with are supported by the intelligence of the biggest military power).

Anyway, as always, it sounds absurd to me to bomb some country to prevent deaths.

I find the K's much like any extremist group, left or right; sourly lacking in critical, objective thinking.

Regarding Syria - we should NOT strike them. 1) A limited strike will not change anything. 2) Syria is not our dog. Syria is Russia's dog. If it is confirmed that the regime used chemical weapons then Russia needs to deal with them.

We need to keep the gun in the holster ready for the times it's really needed - like defending our allies.

I find the K's much like any extremist group, left or right; sourly lacking in critical, objective thinking.

Regarding Syria - we should NOT strike them. 1) A limited strike will not change anything. 2) Syria is not our dog. Syria is Russia's dog. If it is confirmed that the regime used chemical weapons then Russia needs to deal with them.

We need to keep the gun in the holster ready for the times it's really needed - like defending our allies.

That's absolutely true GS. Unfortunately the clown in chief is nowhere near as smart and reasonable as you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back