Wrapping electronic gifts: bad idea when going through customs?

TravisJames

Registered
I bought smart phones for two of my friends in Argentina and was planning on wrapping them as gifts. After perusing this forum and some other websites regarding customs in EZE, I have become a little concerned about my electronics situation, in addition to these presents.

Will I have to pay a tariff on these gifts? Should I even wrap them? I've read about several different methods, from slipping the aduaneros cash to pretending like I don't know Spanish, and even people suggesting I should act like I need 3 cellphones for my vacation.

Also, would it be problem that I am bringing two laptops?

Stick them in your jacket pockets / they have never asked anyone to x-ray their jackets when i have gone through customs.

I second the put them in your pockets suggestion. I've never thought about that, but I've never been checked.

I went through EZE a few days ago. My backpack had only my laptop, iPod, and camera in it as far as electronics go. One of the customs guys pulled me over to the side, asked for my passport, and then asked me a few questions. The entire process lasted about 60 seconds.

I don't see any reason to pretend not to speak Spanish. I just answered his questions, in Spanish, and the entire process took about 60 seconds. He was quite nice really. As soon as he saw I was on a USA passport, you could tell he didn't care. I could have seen it going a bit differently if I had three phones and two laptops though.

But yeah, don't wrap them and definitely don't try to bribe anyone.

Back