Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 - where

TonyYayo

Registered
Where is the cheapest place to buy Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 in Buenos Aires?

I have been around Rodo, Compumundo, Musimundo, Fravega, is that it, or is there any other place where I can get cheaper?

Prices are nearly the double from Europe... :(

Can I trust Mercado Libre?

i bought one from mercardolibre its a slim ntsc one, watch out if you have pal games. some wont work. (GTA4 being one of them.)

As for games, don't bother buying them here. I use Play-Asia.com and they've arrived no problems at all and even if they do want me to pay tax, it will still work out cheaper than buying them here.

Which region/format is it here in Argentina? (pal, ntsc)

do you need a power transformator 110v -> 220v?

TonyYayo said:
Which region/format is it here in Argentina? (pal, ntsc)

do you need a power transformator 110v -> 220v?

Argentina is officially PAL-N but most tv's do NTSC too nowadays and with LCD's it doesn't make a difference.

you will need a transformer as the NTSC xbox's come with a 110v PSU although i've sure you could import a 220v one it's probably not worth your while. The transformer is only $20-30 pesos ish i think

No idea about PS3's

Hoping for some help please. My godson would like an xbox 360 kinetic for christmas. Have someone who will bring it down from states. But have no idea what to get. Been reading up on it but still do not understand what will work in BsAs. And if USA games will work. Can anyone please advice. They are an Argie family and assume TV would be from there. They seem to be able to get everything to work somehow. But don't know if this would be something that would.
Really appreciate any help and advice!
Thanks. :confused:

Hi Slater - I hope this makes sense.

The standard USA (NTSC) Xbox's will work, but you will have to get a transformer from here to ensure the voltage is adapted to Argentine standards. If you plugged it straight into the power you would blow the console. The transformer you will need is the one discussed above, which will enable the Xbox NTSC 110v (standard in the USA) to play on the required 220v (or thereabouts) that you need in Argentina. You can pick it up on Mercadolibre.

In terms of the Xbox, I would buy the standard American (NTSC) one rather than the European (PAL). The NTSC ones will work with all TVs from here whereas the PAL ones will only work with standard TVs purchased from Europe (although most LCD TVs won't have a problem with either). This is true even though Argentine TVs are supposed to be PAL N or PAL B or whatever they say.

The other plus for buying the American (NTSC) console is that most of the games you can find in Argentina are NTSC. For many games it doesn't matter what region the console is, but to be on the safe side NTSC games are much more prevalent here.

So, in conclusion, any console that is NTSC with a voltage transformer will work here. All of the consoles listed on the ebay site that say NTSC will be fine. AND, your godson will love it.

Smcali--I can not thank you enough for all your help.
You explained this so well that even I can understand it!!!
Very much appreciated.
Just ordered the complete package for him including games. And will get a transformer from mercadolibre.
Santa is on his way!!
Again thanks for your response.

--Slater

Smcali23 said:
Hi Slater - I hope this makes sense.

The standard USA (NTSC) Xbox's will work, but you will have to get a transformer from here to ensure the voltage is adapted to Argentine standards. If you plugged it straight into the power you would blow the console. The transformer you will need is the one discussed above, which will enable the Xbox NTSC 110v (standard in the USA) to play on the required 220v (or thereabouts) that you need in Argentina. You can pick it up on Mercadolibre.

---snip---

So, in conclusion, any console that is NTSC with a voltage transformer will work here. All of the consoles listed on the ebay site that say NTSC will be fine. AND, your godson will love it.

First the health warning: I've never knowingly even seen an xBox and the description PS2 immediately means IBM computers to me. So if there is something inherently different about these things when compared with practically all modern electronics, then I'll be delighted if you'd tell me.

In the old days, the guts of voltage transformers comprised miles and miles of copper wire wound as transformers and they were without the facility to run on different mains voltages unless they had different input coils or were 'tapped' with different voltage connection points. 110v and 240v were mutually exclusive. The difference between US 60Hz and UK 50Hz played havoc with them too.

These days most electronics is powered through devices called 'switched mode power supplies' and they work in a completely different way. Instead of transforming the power through coils, and generating a lot of heat and wasting a lot of energy in the process, these things detect the incoming power then sample little bits of the waveform to provide the volts and amps wanted at the output. Most switched mode power supplies are rated to work on supplies between 100v and 240v with a frequency of between 50Hz and 60Hz and so will work practically anywhere in the world without adjustment.

Before paying out lots of money for a transformer, read the often very small print on the power pack. If it says 100-250v 50-60Hz you can use it anywhere without any problem. If it is country specific and says something like '110v 60Hz only' then yes, you will need a transformer - but you should ask why a supposedly cutting edge games console is still using 19th Century power conversion methods.

No problem at all Slater, I hope your Godson enjoys it (and you should give it a go too - you never know!)

Hiya elhombre - yeah, I'm not sure why, but I'm 100% certain that you need a transformer with an NTSC console. I have sold a couple of power bricks to people who have burnt out their consoles by not using a transformer. Bit of an expensive mistake. But, yeah, I agree that for an expensive bit of kit it's all a bit stupid.

Back