Xoom Money Transfer

mbcronin

Registered
Hey everyone,

I have really enjoyed reading these forums during the last few months and have stumbled across some very valuable information. I am moving to BsAs next month to teach english/take the CELTA course. I've been trying to tie up all my loose ends and was wondering if anyone had some information about using xoom. Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but does anyone rely on xoom to get money transferred in the city. I know to avoid using ATMs and to take advantage of the blue rate however I want to be the safest possible in terms of exchanging money. I've done some research about xoom but would love to hear anyone's experience and especially if you are using the cash pickup method.

p.s --- or any other useful info regarding bringing cash etc.

Thank you and cheers!!

maria

Legally, you can bring up to 10K with you, but be cautious, xoom works fine but will pay about one peso less than the black market, no big deal

most common options are:

- Bring cash (dollars) from home (then exchange at blue dollar rate in Argentina)

- Weekend trips across the border to get dollars outside Argentina (ATM etc.)

- Xoom (exchange rate not as good as blue rate but a lot better than official rate)

- Ria Money Transfer (exchange rate often better than Xoom and lower fees but might take longer)

Get 100 usd bills as 20 usd bills sell for 30 centavos less

I don't see this difference with Euros. They accept bills from €20 upward. However they pay €50 bills and €500 bills the same. How so?

Using xoom will net around 12.9 % less than if you bring cash. So if you bring $9,999. you will save around $1,290.
https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees-fx

thanks for the feedback, I just feel like I would feel nervous bringing tons of cash into the country..that seems risky to me. Also do you feel safe exchanging at blue rate dollar/how do I know I'm not putting myself at risk or getting ripped off?

-very small woman that is clearly an american haha

Check the current rates at http://bluelytics.com.ar/#/ (they have a nice app as well). Normally you get a bit less than the bid rate.
In Bs As you can just ask the guys on the street for the rate and can negotiate if you want, or just ask the next person 2 meters ahead.

Here in Patagonia it is quite open, there are several shops, including official exchange offices, where you can just walk in and change green for blue, no problem.

thanks for the feedback, I just feel like I would feel nervous bringing tons of cash into the country..that seems risky to me. Also do you feel safe exchanging at blue rate dollar/how do I know I'm not putting myself at risk or getting ripped off?

-very small woman that is clearly an american haha

I can assist you and go with you if you like? Nothing will happen to you.

Back