Xoom Vs Ria

High Plains Drifter

Registered
I know a lot of people use XOOM but I wanted to find out if anyone has used Ria (riamoneytransfer.com) before and if they had any problems? Today the Ria exchange rate is 8.82 pesos vs XOOM at 7.86 pesos. I'm just wondering if there was a reason not to use Ria vs XOOM (the fees look to be similar)?

Given the exchange rate, I actually just tried to do a transaction. They blocked my account because I have an Argentine IP address. Even if you used a VPN, it would be pretty obvious if you sent the money to yourself. Looks like a no-go, unless you have someone abroad send it to you.

Where can you see the exchange rate Ria offers? I can´t find that anywhere :p

I registered with Ria after seeing this post. Bradly has it right; they will not let you send money unless you are in the States. I tried using a VPN and it still won't let me send money. Not sure why Ria won't let you when xoom will but that seems to be the long and short of it. Ria's posted exchange rate ends up being lower once you try to actually do a transaction, so it's not as great a deal as it looks.

I have a VPN. I'm doing a test transfer with Ria to a local bank account. I'll give an update when it's complete or fails.

The final exchange rate is lower than first advertised, but still better than Xoom. For example, they advertised $8.5260, but the actually gave me $8.16 after fees. Xoom is $8.01 before fees.

sinagua980--I'm stuck with Ria at the bank verification phase. I've received the two deposits but I cannot seem to verify the account via the website. I just get a reminder message when I push the red "Verify" button. Are you sending money to yourself?

sinagua980--I'm stuck with Ria at the bank verification phase. I've received the two deposits but I cannot seem to verify the account via the website. I just get a reminder message when I push the red "Verify" button. Are you sending money to yourself?

No, I'm sending money to my wife's account. The two test deposits haven't hit my checking account yet, so I'm not at the verify stage yet. I'll update here when it happens.

I've tried sending money to myself using a VPN but I don't think they're going to let me do it. Not sure why xoom lets you do this but Ria does not.

Back