Yoga For Beginners

estebandepraga

Registered
Hi to all!
My time in Prague is rapidly coming to an end and I will be back in BA the first week of January( in a new and better Argentina, I hope, although the road will be rocky for a while I'm sure!)
I have been thinking about starting yoga classes not because of meditation or Eastern philosophy but rather for better breathing, flexibilty and possibly ridding myself of what ails me such as my knee and ankle.
Friends told me about Buena Onda but it seems $$ and I do not need classes in English. I live in Palermo near Botanico.
Does anyone have any good recommendations which would be gladly considered.
Thanks very much and a very happy holiday season to all!
See you at the chats in January.
Cheers,
Esteban

There is Bikram in Palermo. I have not been to classes there, but Bikram is the same world over. Bikram is intense and fun, will definitely cure most of what ails you, maybe with a little help from acupuncture.
Nancy

Tom here. I second what Nancy said. The only yoga I know is Bikram and I know that practicing Bikram yoga cured my bad back and made all of my joints better. It definitely adds to the quality of your life.

Does anyone know Yoga Cristal in Caballito? Thoughts? althought the above-mentioned sounds hard to beat!

Tom, Nancy,
I have never tried it but I have heard that Bikram yoga is advanced, and as you mention Nancy ïntense¨. That Bikram studio is near my home and have thought about doing it. Do you think someone that is a beginner at yoga (no major health problems) can do it and get benefits without major risk of injury? Thanks!

There is a free outdoor session every Saturday at 11:00 at the park in Palermo.

http://www.yogaencasa.com.ar/

You want Hatha Yoga, not Bikram. Hatha focuses on breathing and movement.

Tom, Nancy,
I have never tried it but I have heard that Bikram yoga is advanced, and as you mention Nancy ïntense¨. That Bikram studio is near my home and have thought about doing it. Do you think someone that is a beginner at yoga (no major health problems) can do it and get benefits without major risk of injury? Thanks!
Absolutely, when I started I had never done yoga before and did it religiously for 7 or more years. Just remember what anybody else is doing does is not your concern, only your own progress.
Nancy

There is a free outdoor session every Saturday at 11:00 at the park in Palermo.

http://www.yogaencasa.com.ar/

You want Hatha Yoga, not Bikram. Hatha focuses on breathing and movement.
Bikram also focuses on breathing and movement. In fact, I believe all yoga focuses on breathing and movement.

For me, the advantage to Bikram is that there are 26 poses in a session, the same 26 poses every time and everywhere. They are good poses that work together to (supposedly) work every muscle and organ in your body. Bikram is also done in heat which helps keep your body loose while practicing.

Bikram is good for Nancy and me. Hatha is is good for Jantango. The important thing is to do yoga and try to do it regularly.

I wouldn't recommend a free outdoor session for a beginner. Too easy to pull a muscle with a wrong, uninstructed move.

T/

Back