Yosi, the Regretful Spy on Prime Video

I went and read the article linked in the Times of Israel, and immediately I saw that the article states as fact things which are not proven. Of course, it's understandable that Israel wants to pin it on Hezbollah or Iran, but there is no actual hard evidence to support that.

The other big problem I have is that the article states flatly that both were car bombings, and again that's not proven, at least in the AMIA case. If there's one thing we have learned from 50 years of car bombings, it is that the frame or sub-frame always survives. It may be twisted like a pretzel, but it always survives. And no frame has ever been found in the AMIA bombing. Add to that the business of Telleldín supposedly assembling a van from parts of scrapped vehicles, and it's fairly clear that none of the available testimony can be trusted. The whole issue was manipulated from the very start, and the truth is still being hidden.

I am not proposing an alternate explanation, just saying that nothing has been proven yet. We cannot say for sure who was responsible, and we cannot say for sure that the AMIA case was a car bombing.

In short, this whole Amazon series thing is more hasbarah than documentary. Now, that's fine; everybody has the right to tell their version of a story. But it shouldn't be confused with proven fact.

There's a mural on the wall of one of the Subte stations on the B line. It shows Blind Justice, weeping and with a dagger in her back, being led through a maze by a seeing-eye turtle, and at the center of the maze it says AMIA Bombing Truth.

Please, before you condemn me for saying all this, have a look at what some of the Jewish community groups like Memoria Activa are saying. Their take on the issue isn't that different from what I've said here.

I went and read the article linked in the Times of Israel, and immediately I saw that the article states as fact things which are not proven. Of course, it's understandable that Israel wants to pin it on Hezbollah or Iran, but there is no actual hard evidence to support that.

The other big problem I have is that the article states flatly that both were car bombings, and again that's not proven, at least in the AMIA case. If there's one thing we have learned from 50 years of car bombings, it is that the frame or sub-frame always survives. It may be twisted like a pretzel, but it always survives. And no frame has ever been found in the AMIA bombing. Add to that the business of Telleldín supposedly assembling a van from parts of scrapped vehicles, and it's fairly clear that none of the available testimony can be trusted. The whole issue was manipulated from the very start, and the truth is still being hidden.

I am not proposing an alternate explanation, just saying that nothing has been proven yet. We cannot say for sure who was responsible, and we cannot say for sure that the AMIA case was a car bombing.

In short, this whole Amazon series thing is more hasbarah than documentary. Now, that's fine; everybody has the right to tell their version of a story. But it shouldn't be confused with proven fact.

There's a mural on the wall of one of the Subte stations on the B line. It shows Blind Justice, weeping and with a dagger in her back, being led through a maze by a seeing-eye turtle, and at the center of the maze it says AMIA Bombing Truth.

Please, before you condemn me for saying all this, have a look at what some of the Jewish community groups like Memoria Activa are saying. Their take on the issue isn't that different from what I've said here.
The Amazon fiction Series Yosi the Repentant Spy, is based on a bok written by two,Argentinean journalists Miriam Lewin and Horacio Lutzky. Once you watch the Series can we have your take on the production, The actual bombing mehods? and authors? can be discussed later.

Not sure you used the Hebrew word hasbara correctly.

Not sure you used the Hebrew word hasbara correctly.
“Hasbara” in the literal sense means “explanation”, no more and no less.
It is sometimes used in a sense similar to PR.
Using it as a synonym for “misleading propaganda” - as has already happened here before, when the discussion had nothing whatsoever to do with Israel - is, quite frankly, a racist slur. Nothing more, nothing less.

“Hasbara” in the literal sense means “explanation”, no more and no less.
It is sometimes used in a sense similar to PR.
Using it as a synonym for “misleading propaganda” - as has already happened here before, when the discussion had nothing whatsoever to do with Israel - is, quite frankly, a racist slur. Nothing more, nothing less.
Explain to me please how an article in the Times of Israel about the bombing of the Israeli Embassy and the AMIA has nothing to do with Israel?

You said you're OK with hasbarah meaning PR, so interpret it to mean PR. The sentence works just fine that way.

And you really had to go back 8 years and dig up that quote, from a time when I was brand new to this community? Maybe you should read the rest of that thread. These forums were far more harsh and confrontational then than they are now, and I'd really hate to see that harshness return. I do not wish to quarrel with you. Let's not go there, please.

P.S. I would remind you that I was punished with a 30-day ban for saying what you quoted there, in spite of having apologized. I served my time.

Last edited:

You have seen this Amazon series for yourself? You did register that the book it is based on was written by Argentines Miriam Lewin and Horacio Lutzky, right? So why on earth would you choose to use a word like "hasbarah" to describe this Amazon series written in Argentina, directed by an Argentine and filmed in Montevideo in place of a.... no se... word in Castellano?

I'm not proposing an alternate explantation, of course. I just can't say for sure why you said what you did.

The Series is a fiction not a documentary, based on a book written by 2 Argentine journalists. Excellent Argentine/Uruguayan production. Interesting to hear comments on the Series..!

Last edited:
Explain to me please how an article in the Times of Israel about the bombing of the Israeli Embassy and the AMIA has nothing to do with Israel?
I was referring to the old quote, not this one. Thought that was clear.

You said you're OK with hasbarah meaning PR, so interpret it to mean PR. The sentence works just fine that way.

And you really had to go back 8 years and dig up that quote[...]?
It is simply a matter of my remembering it, vividly. It rankled.
And for better or worse, it very much shaped the way I’ve read just about every post of yours I’ve read since.
So when I find you using the word again in a way that I find objectionable at best, it’s a lot to ask for me to forget that you’ve used it before.
In a way that reading it as PR would not make the sentence work just fine. Literally used as a synonym for BS.

I do not wish to quarrel with you. Let's not go there, please.

P.S. I would remind you that I was punished with a 30-day ban for saying what you quoted there, in spite of having apologized. I served my time.
I do not wish to quarrel with you, either. And I was not aware of either the ban or the apology.
If we are in agreement that to characterize any pro-Israel viewpoint as biased/false by definition is abominable, then I am happy to put the issue behind us. I am not looking for a pound of flesh.

To end with an attempt at humor, an old joke goes:
A Jewish mother is always willing to forgive and forget. But she never forgets what she forgives.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rich One Expat Life 3
Back