Young Argentines Willing To Move?

jb5

Registered
We are considering transferring some of our business operations to Chile.

Work permits are easy to get, taxes are much lower, rent is cheaper, can still save and access US dollars.

Will young Argentines be willing to make the move?

funny that you ask... i don't know much about chile but my best argentine friend is moving to chile for work next week!

he works for a BsAs startup that is expanding to Chile! the startup environment there is great, i even think the govt gives grants to startups (though i don't know the details)... so unlike Argentina eh?

Well, I don't know about Chile, but a Spanish friend of mine owns a hydroelectric power company. Most of his business is in South America, and he says that Peru and Colombia are chock-full of successful entrepreneurial Argentines, who moved there for the business-friendly environments. I have to imagine that if they're willing to re-locate to Peru and Colombia, they'd be willing to move to Chile as well.

The Chilean $40k tech startup grant repeatedly makes news, and much is made of it. It's a bit overplayed. In practice, getting them to actually disburse the money is pretty damn hard, for reasons fairly similar to the reasons for which such a thing could be hard in Argentina.

I've never been to Chile, but from what I hear from those who went there in search of a superior business environment, more stable economy and political system, etc., it's not paradise. They say that underneath its polite veneer of civil society, rule of law and a stable currency, Chile has many of the same problems Argentina does, just not as pronounced, and it certainly has the same problem of stratification and high Gini coefficient (aka extreme wealth, extreme poverty and not much of a middle class) that is common across much of Latin America.

I wouldn't know, just passing on second-hand information.

AlexanderB said:
The Chilean $40k tech startup grant repeatedly makes news, and much is made of it. It's a bit overplayed. In practice, getting them to actually disburse the money is pretty damn hard, for reasons fairly similar to the reasons for which such a thing could be hard in Argentina.

I've never been to Chile, but from what I hear from those who went there in search of a superior business environment, more stable economy and political system, etc., it's not paradise. They say that underneath its polite veneer of civil society, rule of law and a stable currency, Chile has many of the same problems Argentina does, just not as pronounced, and it certainly has the same problem of stratification and high Gini coefficient (aka extreme wealth, extreme poverty and not much of a middle class) that is common across much of Latin America.

Spot on. On top of that, the Chilean society is very elitist. If you don't belong to the few families running the country (see Opus Dei), your ceiling is set.

AlexanderB said:

Interesting - I had a discussion with someone involved very closely with StartUp Chile and he had nothing to say but great things about how supportive the gov't has been and how effective. Can you cite specific examples of the gov't not paying out to entrepeneurs that have met the objectives? That's a huge deal and would call the entire program into question.

The big complaint I hear about Santiago is that it is boring, not huge amounts of social life, not nearly as many options of things to do here, etc.

In re the rest - anyone moving anywhere and thinking it's paradise is bound for a rude awakening:p I have heard the same about the stratification of society but don't find that surprising at all. Is there any country in LATAM that isn't prone to extremes in that area?

Back