Anyone who really, really understands the health insurance system?

hankscott

Registered
Still trying to figure out the healthcare system and health insurance in Buenos Aires. I have reached out to multiple insurers and am investigating others. Some cite insane rates (GeoBlue for expats -- $1,000 a month with a $1,000 deductible). Others deny coverage for anyone my age (72). One broker, who focuses on expats, is trying to pitch me to buy an affordable plan for in-hospital care. But the three hospitals it covers are all public hospitals, which, as I understand, are free to all. I'm considering registering as a Monotributo (I am a media consultant and writer). But I've read that I must choose a health insurance plan when I register, and that after being registered the insurer can reject my application, leaving me unable to reapply for 12 months (true or false?)

Does anyone know of a consultant who specializes in finding healthcare for expats? I mean a real one. I recently connected in a Facebook expat group with a husband and wife who purported to offer that service. I spent $50 to sit with them for two hours at a coffee shop, where all I was able to do was listen to them argue back and forth in Spanish. This process is making me think my focus should be on finding a psychotherapist! Crazy!

Still trying to figure out the healthcare system and health insurance in Buenos Aires. I have reached out to multiple insurers and am investigating others. Some cite insane rates (GeoBlue for expats -- $1,000 a month with a $1,000 deductible). Others deny coverage for anyone my age (72). One broker, who focuses on expats, is trying to pitch me to buy an affordable plan for in-hospital care. But the three hospitals it covers are all public hospitals, which, as I understand, are free to all. I'm considering registering as a Monotributo (I am a media consultant and writer). But I've read that I must choose a health insurance plan when I register, and that after being registered the insurer can reject my application, leaving me unable to reapply for 12 months (true or false?)

Does anyone know of a consultant who specializes in finding healthcare for expats? I mean a real one. I recently connected in a Facebook expat group with a husband and wife who purported to offer that service. I spent $50 to sit with them for two hours at a coffee shop, where all I was able to do was listen to them argue back and forth in Spanish. This process is making me think my focus should be on finding a psychotherapist! Crazy!
Have you tried the Italian Hospital? I used to hear that they were more flexible regarding age restrictions. In the end, there may not be any options other than public hospitals and paying out of pocket. I'm not sure.

Much more than I paid in the US for my Medicare supplemental plan :(

Much more than I paid in the US for my Medicare supplemental plan :(
Yes and with Medicare Advantage no supplemental plan is necessary. But honestly I think $558 is not outrageous considering your age. Most plans won't even consider Seniors. This is just a reality. You should take it while it's available.

Take a look at this article it might help some. The reality is that companies try really hard to discourage you from getting insurance due to your age. Becoming monotributista will not help much as the coverage they offer is progressive and sub par. On top of that you need to contribute for three months until they enroll you and most of them will never do it, just so you cannot use it ( this is not due to your age, but because they get less money than what they would get from a registered worker ).
The public system is crowded and not very nice, but if you are patient and willing to put up with wait times, etc is available. I think your best bet at this point is Hospital Italiano to be honest. But you can try some of the companies named in that article.

Take a look at this article it might help some. The reality is that companies try really hard to discourage you from getting insurance due to your age. Becoming monotributista will not help much as the coverage they offer is progressive and sub par. On top of that you need to contribute for three months until they enroll you and most of them will never do it, just so you cannot use it ( this is not due to your age, but because they get less money than what they would get from a registered worker ).
The public system is crowded and not very nice, but if you are patient and willing to put up with wait times, etc is available. I think your best bet at this point is Hospital Italiano to be honest. But you can try some of the companies named in that article.
Thank you for bringing this article to our attention. It should be pointed out that 'a senior' does not have a definite meaning and can be interpreted differently by each provider. And being a senior without previous standing is probably a lost cause. And if you do not have a DNI...oh oh.

Check, EnSalud prepaga, their plan for seniors over 70 was around $300,000 for one person . This rate was for November 2023, today who knows ..! 50% more?

Thank you for bringing this article to our attention. It should be pointed out that 'a senior' does not have a definite meani569168.jpgng and can be interpreted differently by each provider. And being a senior without previous standing is probably a lost cause. And if you do not have a DNI...oh oh.
Thank you. That is a useful story. It's not clear to me whether the rates quoted are monthly or annual. If they are monthly and are in Argentine pesos,, I would be stunned (and delighted) to learn that they range from US$69 to US$95.

Back