Banned food part deux

I think it is on anything that has an Industria Argentina counterpart. For example, no more Pringles, since Lays is a comparable product and has a factory is here in Argentina, where as Pringles is imported in readty-to-sell.

Why do you guys rely on the Buenos Aires herald for your news, it has some pretty crappy use of the english language, and a knack for getting the facts wrong...

First off, there has never been an official ban of any imports.

Domestic Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno (Buenos Aires Herald, he is not just the trade secretary) did indeed issue a stern warning to supermarkets warning them that they would not be able to import food that has a nationally produced counterpart.

Now obviously this falls outside of the realm of Mr. Moreno, but the heads of the supermarkets will still listen to him, they know how things work in Argentina. They have probably stopped ordering European Food Stuffs, just like they stopped ordering Brazilian Food Stuffs because they are unsure if they will make it past customs, and they don't want to lose any money in that.

Now a couple weeks ago there was an article in Clarin that showed communiques between Mr. Moreno and Aduana that instructed Aduana to personally ask Mr. Moreno's office about imported foods, and he would make decisions when a decision had to be made.

In the end, more crap of Kirchner, nothing has been institutionalized, and according to the books there are no restrictions on imports so the WTO will be happy. But in regards to what exactly is banned, it is whatever the hell they want to declare contraband at aduana...

Edit: Fixed Moreno's title as Domestic Trade Secretary

GuilleGee said:
Why do you guys rely on the Buenos Aires herald for your news, it has some pretty crappy use of the english language, and a knack for getting the facts wrong...

I'm not relying, I'm just putting it out there so it can be discussed. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Sorry didn't mean to be an asshole, guess I just mean, don't trust the facts of any newspaper in this country...

Not saying it is any good, but just thought on bringing up this report from today:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-ma...olicies-continue-despite-g-20-promises-report

All G-20 countries have implemented protectionist trade measures over the past two years, and there are hundreds more coming, according to the authors.

The report claims the most protectionist countries are Russia, the U.S., India, Argentina and Brazil

Wait... does it say US also? It must be a lie.
Wait... it also says ALL countries implemented protectionist measures... interesting..

Sometimes I feel like expats started reading economic news in Argentina.

Most Americans (estadounidenses) don't know anything about economics, I don't really, though I know more than most, I still know little....

Guys, Let`s not dumb down this thread. This ban or no ban is getting serious..my hairdresser hasn´t been able to get hold of he rregular shampoo imports (Redken) - things are looking really bad now. Gummy bears I can live without, but good shampoo?

Back