Citizenship vs becoming tax resident

stella_bjorn

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I have just married my Argentinian boyfriend and now considering applying for a passport.

Would I automatically become tax resident in Argentina?

Any legal/tax advisers worth recommendation? So far bad experience with legal services in Argentina.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I have just married my Argentinian boyfriend and now considering applying for a passport.

I believe you have to get citizenship first. You can probably get a DNI and permanent residency sooner.

I believe that depends on how much time you spend in Argentina each year

Any legal/tax advisers worth recommendation? So far bad experience with legal services in Argentina.

Unfortunately, my accountant would be too far from CF to recommend.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Tax residency is not dependent on having a passport or not. Do you live permanently in Argentina? If so you are a tax resident.

General rule in Argentina (and most other countries) is that if you live there for 6 months or more in a given year you are considered a tax resident

Tax residency is indeed not dependent on citizenship.
However, normally one of the requirements to become a naturalized citizen of Argentina is continuously residing in Argentina for 2 years which would automatically render one a tax resident of Argentina.
Don't know, maybe this requirement is waived for those married to Argentines.

It is in fact. You do not have tax liability unless you have permanent residency or citizenship. If you have no local papers you are considered a slave that were tax free (art. 20 NC) according to an old principle that says all who were not registered at the census were slaves. How t avoid double taxation is something to talk with an accountant.

Thank you all very much.
It is in fact. You do not have tax liability unless you have permanent residency or citizenship. If you have no local papers you are considered a slave that were tax free (art. 20 NC) according to an old principle that says all who were not registered at the census were slaves. How t avoid double taxation is something to talk with an accountant.
Any accountant worth recommending?

Back