Crabs, kelp and mussels: Argentina’s waters teem with life

This is why I'm 100% against the drilling they want to do in the Argentine Sea between Mar del Plata and Rawson. Spills would be disastrous to everything from tourism, to wildlife (including several endangered species) to the marine aquaculture we export for dollars.

There's nothing "Nac y Pop" about letting Exxon/Chevron drill for oil there and poison our environment - we're already
getting enough hydrocarbons in Vaca Muerte, leave the Argentine Sea alone, and let's stop dumping pesticides and chemicals in the Rio de la Plata, Colorado, and Negro if we want these things to exist for future generations.

Am reading this correctly?
Argentine Proverbial Gov.s are intentionally banning salmon farming?
Does salmon farming wreak environmental havoc? Really? How?

For many years I never knew why Argentina (with more than 10000 km Atlantic coast and many rivers) would import salmon from Chile?

Does salmon farming wreak environmental havoc? Really? How?
My understanding from reading the article is, no it does not. Though reading it does explain that intensive over farming has had enough of an environmental impact in Chile to disrupt other marine life industries. Still, the Norwegian owners of all those farms realize their mistakes and continue to improve the technology to lessen the disruption.
Also explained, is those Argentina waters are already rich with exports of other products, and the related tourism, so they do not need it to be disrupted by salmon farms.

For many years I never knew why Argentina (with more than 10000 km Atlantic coast and many rivers) would import salmon from Chile?
If I understand correctly, Atlantic salmon is fished wild in Argentinian waters and called "salmón blanco".

The Pacific salmon comes from Chile, is farmed, cheaper, has a higher environmental impact, and seems to be more susceptible to pests, which may or may not be a consideration if you eat sushi (I believe salmon sushi is uncommon in Japan for this precise reason).

If memory serves, @Rich One is something of an expert on the topic, maybe he'll come along and comment.

If I understand correctly, Atlantic salmon is fished wild in Argentinian waters and called "salmón blanco".
I am fairly certain this comment is satire and/or some inside joke. Still, to be clear salmón blanco (Pseudopercis semifasciata) which you see named that way in the local Argentine market is really an Argentine Sandperch, and not related in any way to any of the Atlantic or Pacific Salmon species (of the family Salmonidae, genus Oncorhynchus).

Argentina doesn't have the capacity, technology or worldwide markets for Salmon exports. All you need to know about the Chilean Salmon Industry is below.
The Chilean Salmon industry is 50 y.o and operates as a joint venture with Norwegian, USA and other European investors.

Last edited:
Last year Argentina began to export Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykis) from western Neuquén province. The landlocked species. Still the family Salmonidae, genus Oncorhynchus just like Salmon that you know. These are the big whole fish and large filets I like to buy to eat since they are using newer techniques. They are not the smaller trout you do find more often in markets and on local menus, which are ok but not of the same processing quality.

Has anyone been fishing down in Patagonia (either side)? I'm not remotely an angler, and don't even eat fish or seafood, but I do like the idea of spending some autumn or spring days catching and releasing in the middle of nowhere.

Back