Folded US $100 bills

Someone figured out that they can make money with it; that's the actual reason. Of course, a cueva will accept any bill. However, if the bills have writing, a stamp, are stained, broken, have a small face, or have been washed or bleached, then they will apply a discount. The bills that can't be passed off to customers are simply resold for a profit. It's a business, and it's as simple as that.

Last edited:
I travel back to the USA a couple of times a year, I always buy my friends rejected C-Notes or take whatever small bills they have and give them the current Blue Dollar price in pesos as I don't lose a cent in the process.

Here’s the straight googe fans: All US bills, coins etc. are everywhere and all the time legal tender. HOWEVER there is no federal law in the United States that a unit of US currency MUST be accepted. That’s right. It’s entirely up to the business you’re offering payment to, and if they don’t like the bills you’re offering, you are out of luck. Except in Massachusetts and New Jersey (and a few cities). The cueva can refuse your 100 with a clipped edge and if you take it back to the States and the local 7-11 can refuse the same bill for the same reasons. And don’t try smart-assed things like throwing the 100 down and insisting the debt is paid. It isn’t, legally speaking. Consider the poor jerk who last year somewhere in the Midwest got pissed off at a debt he was getting badgered about. So he got 50 dollars in pennies, put them in a bucket with covered engine oil and delivered it to the guy on his butt. Saying: here’s the 50 I owe you. Debt paid. Nonono. It’s gotta be clean money. He ended up a couple of thousand down after the court got done with him.

Here’s the straight googe fans: All US bills, coins etc. are everywhere and all the time legal tender. HOWEVER there is no federal law in the United States that a unit of US currency MUST be accepted. That’s right. It’s entirely up to the business you’re offering payment to, and if they don’t like the bills you’re offering, you are out of luck. Except in Massachusetts and New Jersey (and a few cities). The cueva can refuse your 100 with a clipped edge and if you take it back to the States and the local 7-11 can refuse the same bill for the same reasons. And don’t try smart-assed things like throwing the 100 down and insisting the debt is paid. It isn’t, legally speaking. Consider the poor jerk who last year somewhere in the Midwest got pissed off at a debt he was getting badgered about. So he got 50 dollars in pennies, put them in a bucket with covered engine oil and delivered it to the guy on his butt. Saying: here’s the 50 I owe you. Debt paid. Nonono. It’s gotta be clean money. He ended up a couple of thousand down after the court got done with him.
I do remember this story. I am sure that there have been many instances like this.

I thought that was exactly my point. Forget the United States, they are an irrelevancy here. Forget which foreign currency is involved because the key factor is that cuevas are not legally recognised in Argentina and any transaction anybody undertakes with them is entirely at their own risk. Likewise, cuevas take a risk every time a stranger brings them a bundle of notes and they choose to mitigate that risk by only accepting what they choose to accept. As a store 200 miles from anywhere in the Australian outback said to me when I complained that a product was three months out of date, "If you don't like it, you can always go somewhere else, mate."

Bear in mind that the cuevero that buys old carachica bills may have a tough time selling them to Argentine clients that will not accept them.. Tough time to download carachica at a par value.

Back