Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Heading down in a few days and unsure whether to bother with many cabezas grandes…but with so many different rates, I’m confused. Does Visa eventually give something close to the bolsa/MEP (I think the same thing?).

With as close as it is to the blue it seems easier than constantly changing cash. Mercadopago apparently works too to get close to a blue rate, but it seems like an extra step if you can just use a US-issued credit card.

Heading down in a few days and unsure whether to bother with many cabezas grandes…but with so many different rates, I’m confused. Does Visa eventually give something close to the bolsa/MEP (I think the same thing?).

With as close as it is to the blue it seems easier than constantly changing cash. Mercadopago apparently works too to get close to a blue rate, but it seems like an extra step if you can just use a US-issued credit card.
Use your credit card for about 7% less than the MEP.

Use your credit card for about 7% less than the MEP.
Is US visa Debit the best choice?

Related/different subject when you use your local peso debit card you get a refund for the IVA , during December.

Related/different subject when you use your local peso debit card you get a refund for the IVA , during December.
Does the 21% refud apply to all purchases made with the Argentine debit card during the month of December?

The owner of one of the local mimi-marts told me that officialy it only applied to food, but since their "system" does not differentate food from other items, the refud would apply to all purchase in his shop, so it would be a good time to stock up on other items.

Also wondering if the IVA refund applies to utility payments and private clinic fees paid with a debit card, as well as any non-food purchases on Mercado Libre.

Does the 21% refud apply to all purchases made with the Argentine debit card during the month of December?

The owner of one of the local mimi-marts told me that officialy it only applied to food, but since their "system" does not differentate food from other items, the refud would apply to all purchase in his shop, so it would be a good time to stock up on other items.

Also wondering if the IVA refund applies to utility payments and private clinic fees paid with a debit card, as well as any non-food purchases on Mercado Libre.
Some comments on the subject. More details in the link below.

I noticed a sign mentioning Debit Card IVA refund for purchases at Carrefour..?

The measure Was designed to refund 21% IVA on Canasta Basica Food Prods for qualified Buyers
However some supermarkets Data Systems couldn't differentiate between Canasta Basica purchases and electronics or scotch..!

"The Federal Administration of Public Revenue, through General Resolution No. 5418/2023, regulated the "Buy without VAT" program that establishes a refund regime of 21% of purchases made in retail and/or wholesale stores, with a limit up to $18,800."

Since the date you mentioned, with Mastercard I have a transaction on Nov-12 and Nov-25. Both times they immediately posted to my account at approximately the MEP rate. Nice to be similar to Visa without needing to wait for the refund as had been since 2022.
This morning...Jan 2...I went to Coto and used my Visa card...my net charge was 919.8 pesos/dollar....about the same as W.U.

This morning...Jan 2...I went to Coto and used my Visa card...my net charge was 919.8 pesos/dollar....about the same as W.U.
Yes and mastercard is 882 today. You can always check these things on both visa and mc websites or you can use an app that has both rates

Back