Getting Dollars In Chile?

studiodio

Registered
I am going to Valapariso Chile from Cordoba where I live, for a short vacation this month. There are lots of threads about getting dollars in Uruguay being a better deal than xoom. I am wondering if I can withdraw extra dollars at ATMs from my USA account in Chile to bring back for living expenses for a good rate. I have been using xoom here in Cordoba, but the rate today , for example is 8.62 pesos to dollar. Would the ATM fees in Chile make it a wash? thanks for your time.....

I am going to Valapariso Chile from Cordoba where I live, for a short vacation this month. There are lots of threads about getting dollars in Uruguay being a better deal than xoom. I am wondering if I can withdraw extra dollars at ATMs from my USA account in Chile to bring back for living expenses for a good rate. I have been using xoom here in Cordoba, but the rate today , for example is 8.62 pesos to dollar. Would the ATM fees in Chile make it a wash? thanks for your time.....

I'd like to know the same thing about getting dollars in Chile. Or even (I have a feeling this is going to sound stupid) changing Chilean pesos in Argentina.

Nothing stupid about changing Chilean pesos in Argentina, you get 16 or 17 AR$ for 1,000 CH$.

As for US$ in Chile, expats here in Mendoza find it well worth to go to Chile, get CH$ from ATMs and change them in the open market, preferably in Santiago, but it can also be done in Valpo or Viña at a slightly lower exchange rate.

You can buy US dollars with Chilean pesos, but I can't recall any ATM offering US dollars. You would have to do the transaction at a bank or cambio.

By the way, the Chilean peso has been weakening v. the dollar, though it's not remotely close to the Argentine peso's weakness.

When I went to Chile in March 2012, I used Scotiabank (NO FEES IF YOU HAVE A BANK OF AMERICA DEBIT CARD!!!) and there was an option to take out dollars. I could take out $600-$700 at a time! THis may have changed since last year....

ATM's in Chile only dispense Chilean Pesos....!! Now.

As some have already mentioned - just get Chilean pesos from the ATM and exchange them to dollars at one of the casas de cambio. There are 4 or 5 in Calle Lord Cochrane in Valparaiso. They usually have signs or computer screens inside advertising their exchange rate for dollars. Just take a quick look around and pick the one with the best rate (usually AFEX). If you want to exchange on a Sunday check out the AFEX in Viña del Mar (in Calle Arlegui 690) that is open on Sundays (10 am - 2 pm). There are also some other casa de cambios right across from it but they might not be open on Sundays.

Back