How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

Rates are up substantially due to deregulation.
I know two retired Argentines who are having to give up their Swiss Medical coverage and enroll in PAMI. Given that their pensions just won't cover the "new" living expenses they really have no choice.

I know two retired Argentines who are having to give up their Swiss Medical coverage and enroll in PAMI. Given that their pensions just won't cover the "new" living expenses they really have no choice.
I'd be interested to know how much their Swiss Medical insurance went up. CFK got a law passed that insurers could not make dramatic increases for those 65+ if they'd been in the plan for a number of years (it had been the custom to double or more the rates at age 65). Are the health insurers now able to charge any price they want to older clients?

They are saying increases for the coming month will be around 40-50%

No time wasted..39.1%! Appears to be a universal amount no matter what plan..

Screenshot_2023-12-22-12-41-10-288.jpg

Last edited:
This morning I received an email from Swiss Medical, stating our cost will increase 40% next month. (I'm over 65, my wife a bit under). In looking back at our cost in dollars when we first signed up almost 2 years ago, this increase makes it essentially equal. The price in dollars had slowly been decreasing as the exchange rate rose. Although Swill Medical is BY FAR the largest bill we have (own our house, so no rent), this increase seems to reasonably adjust for inflation.

Easy to say when earning dollars...

...But for folks earning pesos, it will be devastating. I actually called my daughter to break the news gently, so she would not have a heart attack (joking, well maybe). And I also know someone who recently dropped Galeno for PAMI, though she had struggled mightly for several years to avoid doing just that.

There is no painless way to fix Argentina. I just hope the cure doesn't kill the patient(s).

Hospital Alemán went up 40%
It seems they are all going up 40% or a little more. Apparently health insurance schemes have been having a great deal of trouble buying equipment from abroad and keeping up with inflation.

I've been closely monitoring my insurance rates, and there has been a consistent increase every month for over a year now. . Although I've managed to maintain my coverage, several of my friends have had to cancel theirs due to these escalating costs, and this was happening even before Milei. I'm unsure about what future rate hikes might be in store. I haven't received any communication from OSDE this month. This is quite surprising because they usually send monthly notices about rate adjustments and increases.

Last edited:
Back