New family arrival

djshalt

Registered
Hey everyone!

I wanted to get some general advice if anyone can help. I am moving with my wife, young kid, (another on the way, due late November) and German Shepherd. We were planning the move last year, but due to my job we had to stay in Mexico for a little while longer. We will be flying in to BA on the 6th of May. We are using abogados Celano to help us with permanent residency, but will be staying over our 90 day tourist visa by about six weeks - which they assured me was a non-issue. I plan to go to Colonia every other month to bring over USD, and we have an Airbnb booked for a few months until we get our DNI. We also found a good OB doctor at the Italian hospital in Belgrano and we will be staying in that immediate area.

I just want to touch base with people who are actually there and make sure I am not overlooking some aspect of the move and or plan.

I appreciate all of the knowledge you guys share on this forum!

V/r
David

You don't normally need lawyers to deal with residency, just a "facilitator" who's basically a gopher with contacts in Immigration to smooth the path. Using a lawyer is over the top (though I don't know how you would go from tourist to permanent resident in one go).

You can extend your tourist visa directly at Immigration within 10 days to the expiration date.

You probably don't need to go to Colonia (unless you like it), you should be able to get cash with your foreign debit card at ATMs here. Galicia was tagged as having the highest payouts (though that information is a bit old). You won't get the blue rate, but you won't get the official rate either. I believe @carride posted a calculator here.

It sounds like you might need local health insurance.

Belgrano is a very desirable area, more so (in my opinion) than Recoleta or Palermo. You will most likely not need a car (and on-street parking is a nightmare anyway).

There is a lot of information here that's well worth searching for.

Hey everyone!

I wanted to get some general advice if anyone can help. I am moving with my wife, young kid, (another on the way, due late November) and German Shepherd. We were planning the move last year, but due to my job we had to stay in Mexico for a little while longer. We will be flying in to BA on the 6th of May. We are using abogados Celano to help us with permanent residency, but will be staying over our 90 day tourist visa by about six weeks - which they assured me was a non-issue. I plan to go to Colonia every other month to bring over USD, and we have an Airbnb booked for a few months until we get our DNI. We also found a good OB doctor at the Italian hospital in Belgrano and we will be staying in that immediate area.

I just want to touch base with people who are actually there and make sure I am not overlooking some aspect of the move and or plan.

I appreciate all of the knowledge you guys share on this forum!

V/r
David
Just a note-Hospital Italiano is in Almagro rather than Belgrano. Unless there is another, or maybe an outpatient clinic?

You don't normally need lawyers to deal with residency, just a "facilitator" who's basically a gopher with contacts in Immigration to smooth the path. Using a lawyer is over the top (though I don't know how you would go from tourist to permanent resident in one go).

You can extend your tourist visa directly at Immigration within 10 days to the expiration date.

You probably don't need to go to Colonia (unless you like it), you should be able to get cash with your foreign debit card at ATMs here. Galicia was tagged as having the highest payouts (though that information is a bit old). You won't get the blue rate, but you won't get the official rate either. I believe @carride posted a calculator here.

It sounds like you might need local health insurance.

Belgrano is a very desirable area, more so (in my opinion) than Recoleta or Palermo. You will most likely not need a car (and on-street parking is a nightmare anyway).

There is a lot of information here that's well worth searching for.
Great information, thank you! We are planning to have the baby here, and from what I was told that should allow us to bypass the temporary visa requirement. At least that is what they said at Celano. I think you are right about health insurance, I will look into that asap. Probably better than paying out of pocket. Also good news about the car, we got used to walking everywhere in CDMX so glad to hear that its similar in BA.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and the advice, I appreciate it!

Just a note-Hospital Italiano is in Almagro rather than Belgrano. Unless there is another, or maybe an outpatient clinic?
Ok, good catch! I was using google maps to find hospitals in the Belgrano area and there was an Italian hospital, but I just looked on street views and it is a very small building, probably an outpatient clinic like you said. Definitely not the big hospital I was thinking of.

Also cuevas right now charge 0% fee to convert usdt to usd cash. So you dont need to go to uruguay.
That's awesome to hear! I am going to need to get myself up to speed on using crypto. I appreciate the heads up!

You won't find much similar to CDMX here, unless you want to compare Puerto Madero to Santa Fe, for example. Belgrano is very built up, with a mix of residential and commercial, very practical for living (basically it's a 15-minute city, if that doesn't offend anyone, you can get almost everything you need within a radius of 3 blocks). You won't find the nice divided tree-lined park avenues like you have there in La Condesa, for example. Avenida Melian is considered to be the nicest avenue here. All the parks are off down by Avenida Libertador.

Also, coming from CDMX be prepared for a shock to your palates. Argentinian cooking is not very exciting. If you like cooking for yourselves, you are at least close to Chinatown, where you can get spices as well as a good selection of fish.

Back