Troubles With Building Administration

Well, I checked the Zoom call to see if it was being held. It was. All six owners who live in the building were on the call, so I stayed to make it 7. I decided not to speak so I could stay as calm as possible. I didn't understand a word because no one listens and continuously interrupts the person speaking. The call ended at 10:15, and I hear the discussion in the hallway. Once I voted to remove the administrator, I left the call at 9;20pm. The vote was 5 to 2, against his renewal. His loyal members of the owners' council were outvoted. I was so relieved. Now we have the huge responsibility of finding a new administrator who can handle the task of getting the consorcio back to normal which will take years. Our debt is in the millions of pesos.

Ah, there is silence as I finish the post.
I wish I could suggest a new administrator, but we've been through 14 in 20 years. Or maybe it's 15.

Hopefully things will slowly start to get better from now on. Beware that any utilities, services, repairs, etc are going to have to be paid for, etc. Transitioning is chaotic, start asking for recommendations and looking for building managers asap. You are still going to have to talk to the former manager and with no council, someone has to take the lead. I have been there, thankfully things are much much better in my building, but you must know that a lot of building managers will reject you as it is simply a lot more work for the same money ( it is regulated by Caphai ). Best of luck and congrats on moving on!

Congrats Jan, for the win.
Thanks, but our consorcio is insolvent. Only a brand new administrator who wants to tackle a big job would give it a try. I had one ready for the job three year ago who lives eight blocks away, but she now has all the consorcios she can handle by herself.
I wish I could suggest a new administrator, but we've been through 14 in 20 years. Or maybe it's 15.
That says a lot about the quality of training and for only two days a week for three months online. I doubt there is an exam given to qualify to be registered as an administrator. That's why there are so many horrible administrators who want to steal from consorcios, especially those with a majority of seniors would not read or understand the liquidations.
We've got (another) one we want to get rid of. I suppose that's not really a recommendation
We had an excellent administrator for 9 years who was a lawyer as well. She quit after verbal harrassment from a resident. Since then we've had nothing but financial problems by administrators who steal and don't pay the consequences. I didn't think they could get worse, but the current one was the worst. I knew on day one from a resident that he managed 30 consorcios. That told me he had the job to make lots of money charging extra for services. The two members of the owners council voted last night to renew his mandate. One is his soccer buddy, so there was an obvious conflict of interest.
Hopefully things will slowly start to get better from now on. Beware that any utilities, services, repairs, etc are going to have to be paid for, etc. Transitioning is chaotic, start asking for recommendations and looking for building managers asap. You are still going to have to talk to the former manager and with no council, someone has to take the lead. I have been there, thankfully things are much much better in my building, but you must know that a lot of building managers will reject you as it is simply a lot more work for the same money ( it is regulated by Caphai ). Best of luck and congrats on moving on!
Thanks to everyone for commenting and sharing your horror stories. We have challenges living in this city. I know it's not going to be easy to find someone to take on the task of managing our consorcio. The person will charge more for all the work. Our biggest expense is paying a cleaning lady who has been official with the syndicates for more than five years. She cleans as little as possible. An owner who got her on the payroll has likely been collecting a bribe so she never tells her what to do. I clean either before or after the cleaning lady shows up to waste our water and electricity. Getting rid of her is impossible. She is 71 and has two other consorcios that pay her to do nothing as well.

On a recent Sunday where I go walking, I had conversation with the new legal chief for Consumer Defense for Adminstrators, Dra. Rosa Barbera. Her team was handing out fliers with promises that major changes are in the works. She took notes about my complaint against the administrator during our conversation. The mediation was in early January 2024, and the staff has not completed reviewing the documentation for a decision. I have hope for a sanction or better yet, removal from the registry. The administrator charged our consorcio $29.400 for attending a ten-minute mediation online for which he agreed to nothing. His monthly honorario is $30K. I expect the April liquidation that we will receive after May 1, will include a hefty fee for himself and the lawyer who attended the 2-1/4 hour assembly last night. He is a member of an administration/law firm whose presentation letter was considered by the consorcio in 2021. I know he didn't attend the Zoom chat because he has nothing else better to do. The consorcio will be charged for his time listening, and I will be sending the liquidation to the legal team for review.

No to be trusted handling consorcio funds: K. Irabedra RPA 7900 / M.F. Villagra RPA 5092 / A.J. Ardid RPA 10462

Back