Troubles With Building Administration

I found the following article by an accountant on LinkedIN and shared it with the consorcio.
I subscribe to the monthly newsletter by Liga del Consorcista published by lawyers that supply invaluable information to consorcios. [email protected]

CABA Consortium: concern -- observations in the bank summary
by Cynthia Rosio, Public Accountant (UBA)

Concern: the consortium's bank summary shows:
· Amounts listed as paid do not appear in the expense summary.
· Important amounts appear in the administrator's bank account
· There are amounts debited from the account that it is not known who collected them

If the administrator manages transparently, these three situations should not exist. It is assumed that an administrator, representative of a Horizontal Property consortium, is managing other people's money, and since he is managing more than one consortium, he should manage the funds in the bank accounts of third parties, with the best management, and then be able to render accounts without cause concerns or problems with the owners who want to control its management, with the corresponding right.

There are no regulations that say how a horizontal property consortium administrator must manage the bank account of said consortium. The only thing that Law 941 of CABA establishes, in its articles 9 and 10, is that the funds of a consortium must be deposited in a bank account and that the summary of bank account movements must be included in the liquidation of expenses. of the Consortium corresponding to the previous month.

This subsection i) of article 10 of Law 941 is clear and very few administrators comply with it. This article should advise the administrator that all payments must be made through the consortium's bank account, by bank transfer to each supplier or by issuing a check for the expense being paid. Since the summary of bank account movements should respect the payment or collection movements that appear in the expense summary.

If the administrator does not carry out this type of management, the owners should ask him to do so in an assembly so that it is written in the corresponding minutes. Because good management helps the owners of the Council of Owners of said consortium, in accordance with what is established in article 2064, with the attribution of controlling the economic and financial aspects of the consortium. If they do not want to do so, it is the owners' decision to renew their mandate or look for a new administrator.

Since the consortium has a bank account, for each payment to a supplier, the administrator must make the bank transfer or issue a check to that supplier for the amount supported by the corresponding invoice and receipt, whether for the purchase of inputs or for work carried out in the building. And that amount is the one that is reflected in the summary of expenses as a statement of expenses incurred on behalf of the consortium.

On the other hand, the administrator should only transfer the amount of his fees to his bank account, which will be guaranteed by the issuance of the respective invoice.

Keep in mind that an administrator is an agent who has a term in his mandate. That is why it is important, the union of the owners, that if they see that the administrator is not managing him as he should, look for a new administrator, and not generate a renewal of the mandate.

Experiences received from owners when controlling bank statements with expense summaries:
· An administrator transferred the salary to his employee from the consortium account. This was reversed by the owners, since if there is a legal problem with said employee, how is the consortium left with the payments made? These payments do not correspond to those made by the consortium. The employer must pay from his account to his employee.
· An administrator sends the bank statement to an owner every month so that the owner can carry out the respective control. Each bank movement corresponds to an expense reported in the expense summary. What's more, the CUIT to whom the transfer is made appears in the bank summary, which provides excellent control of its entire management.

I once had an awful flood in an apartment I owned, for years. When I saw the large amount of damage the flood was causing in my place, I had my property manager ask what the cost to repair it would be. It was not a large amount. I got the consorcio to agree to repair the flood, by offering to pre-pay my expenses to cover the cost. The consorcio was willing, but a different person pre-paid the fees in order to get the interest for pre-payment. Perhaps the owner of Ryan´s apartment would do that ?

In some cases, the problem may be difficulty in finding tradespeople willing to do the job. This year, from what I´m seeing, it can take a long time to find some one. I am told workers have a social plan and many do not want to work.

There is no doubt in my mind that our consorcio definitely has a problem with the administrator and/or owners council that are oblivious to the financial situation. The monthly contribution should have been increased months ago, but the administrator has no clue about what he has to do. As of today the debt is about $1.4M pesos.

The apartment next to mine is for sale. The refrigerator was positioned too close to the wall. On May 25, I heard an explosion and smoke was coming through the wall where the intercom phone hangs. The entire apartment was full of black soot from the fumes. No one was home. The unit needs new electrical cables and renovated kitchen. The real estate agent said the price is $45,000USD. It was on the market for more than a year after the owner passed. A grandson lived in it for a year. I wonder how long it will take to sell the unit if prospective owners inquire about the financial situation of the building.

Last edited:
Why are there so many corrupt consorcio administrations?
(1) They ignore Law 941 pertaining to their obligations and know they can get away with it because most owners pay the monthly contribution without reviewing or questioning the expenses;
(2) If a complaint is filed against an administration, the consumer protection agency which investigates, mediates, and determines any action, usually does nothing to enforce the law nor sanctions or removes the administrator from the register;
(3) Administrators take on as many consorcios as possible to make more money instead of providing administration according to the law.

I've realized there is corruption and have filed complaints against two previous administrators and the current one. The course to become a registered administrator in CABA requires two sessions of online classes per week for three months. Online information doesn't even mention an exam at the end of the course to qualify for registration. This is a job that anyone with computer skills can manage without having about accounting or management skills or experience.

Our current administration has been registered for almost ten years and manages 30 consorcios. Since I moved into the building, the consorcio has had four registered administrators. The first was a lawyer who managed for nine years until resigning because of harassment from a resident. The next one was chosen by an owner, who was receiving compensation for her silence; the owner was one of only two who voted to renew the mandate. That revealed the reason. The second corrupt administrator got the consorcio into serious debt over three years, and did not turn over documentation to her replacement. The current one is more incompetent and corrupt than the last two. I seem to be the only one who notices the problem.

We have never been provided a copy of the consorcio bank account summary, bills, receipts, etc. included with the monthly liquidation. The current administration promised "transparency" in the presentation letter, but has failed in that regard. How do we know that what is posted on the liquidation is the actual amount charged without comparing all details on the bank summary? No bank account summary is a red flag indicating corruption. Our Edesur bills are paid at Banelco after the first expiration date (7 out of 12 times this year), resulting in a higher amount that an insolvent consorcio can hardly afford.

Recently, I went to the bank to see what information I could obtain about our account. The employee appeared surprised that an owner requested copies of the monthly statements, I showed the only bank statement I had from years ago that had no details except the IVA charges for every transaction, because these banks operate for the sole purpose of making money. Banco Ciudad offers free accounts to consorcios, so why have we wasted so much money for years paying all these charges? The employee wouldn't even show me our account on the computer screen. "The information is private and only for the administration." So while the consorcistas pay the monthly contributions toward building expenses, we have no right to see the bank summary. This employee, who probably wasn't doing much at her desk, had to smoke a cigarette outside after our fifteen minute conversation. After she finished with her cell phone, I asked her why are there months when we have $5.000 in bank charges and other months only $1.000? "Sometimes the charges are waived." I didn't believe her for one second. Does the bank program accounts to exclude the charges? No. It's all about how the administration wants to play with the money and defraud the consorcio.

My next place to obtain information was with AFIP. I went without an appointment and approached someone to ask for information. I explained that a previous administration missed several payments for the employee due to "lack of funds" and wanted to know the current amount. (Someone outside of the agency calculated an estimate of accummulated interest in 2021 -- $600,000.) Sebastian spent time listening to me explain the situation, and then consulted his boss. He then directed me to another section that correspondes to our address. I approached a woman who said, "I'm busy working, so take a seat and wait for me to call on you." There were only two customers in the large waiting area. The man at the next desk asked me to approach a few minutes later. Once again I explained the situation. Then he responded with a diatribe that was incomprehensible to me. I was dumbfounded by his verbal attack. I returned to report this to the first employee Sebastian, who knew I would not get any information from him.

I came to the conclusion that the reason there are so many corrupt administrators is because their transactions through banks and AFIP are private from the people who should receive complete transparency for financial transactions.

AFIP sent me a survey to report on the visit. I didn't provide my email during the visit, but then all of my personal information is stored and available to all government employees, right?

Jantango, I am president of my building's HOA ( 80 apartments ). If the yearly accounts are approved ( they should be checked by all owners each year and then vote in the general HOA meeting ) there is nothing to claim for past issues, it becomes a closed deal no matter what. If you want to get information on your building's bank account you should request it to the building manager or the HOA. If there is no HOA in your building ( it is not mandatory ) you can bring it up to your neighbors and have one. HOA is vital for monitoring and auditing what the building management does. You can even gather with other owners informally and agree to remove the current management, choose a new one, vote and that is it. Nothing is worse than owners not being in control of their own property, employees and providers and I have the feeling that this is your case unfortunately. I understand that people are usually not bothered and do not get involved, yet they don't realize that sometimes failure to keep vital things such as water tanks, elevators, balconies, sidewalks, to name a few can put them in serious danger both physically and financially.

Nikad,
Thanks for offering suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback. I wish I lived in a normal situation with normal people who ask for information because they're paying to maintain their building and its value. That's not the case where I live.

I live in a building where nobody talks to one another. During consorcio meetings, the loudest voices decide everything without any calm discussion. We have an owners council that met for last night for the first time in ages in the hallway for 50 minutes, right outside my door. Unfortunately their voices bounce off the walls and I didn't understand what was being said. I assume there was discussion about the financial situation and my most recent emails to the administration asking for information and action before I send another carta documento.

Our consorcio doesn't get an annual rendicion of accounts prepared by the administration, and nobody complains except me. That's the way it is.

We don't have a building manager, only an owner who was the administrator when I moved into the building in 2002. Whatever she says, goes. She is the one with total control and has brainwashed everyone to believe that she knows it all. I obtained estimates on repairing the water tank five years ago. She said "that's too expensive." Built in 1967, the tank needs a complete overhaul before we are without water. The tank hasn't been cleaned since 2018. AySA won't turn it off even though the debt is $1.233.796,97 as of today. Residents are wasting money on bottled water because ours passes through a rusted tank.

Only six owners of the sixteen units live in the building. The three owners on the council don't know what to ask for because they don't know the obligations that the administration has under the law. The one who is a friend of the administrator goes along with everything. There is an attitude that we can wait and do it later or it's fine. No problem.

The smallest unit was bought last year by a consorcio administrator. Even though he is informed about the situation, he offers NO help whatsoever nor responds to my emails. He has yet to provide his last name and telephone number. He rented out the unit for six months, and it's been vacant for months.

I was delightfully surprised today when I heard the news from one heir that the unit next to mine has a buyer. Unfortunately, the buyer doesn't know anything about the building or our financial situation.

I realized today that our three corrupt administrators were "recommended" by unit owners.

The first one lasted only a year. When the vote was taken, all except two owners, voted removal. The one who recommended her voted for renewal of the mandate, obviously because she received compensation. Everyone else knew that the administrator stole from us.

The next administrator was referred by a unit owner who doesn't live the building. Early in the mandate the unit owner was rewarded for her referral with a renovation project in her unit. I know of another consorcio that is filing complaints for years about her poor management skills and theft.

The current administrator was appointed by his owner/friend in the building. I didn't think we could have anyone as bad as the previous administrator, but this young guy is only interested in money and has no idea about the responsibilities and obligations of administrators. We were not provided with a copy of his presentation letter until after the self-convened assembly to remove the previous one.

Last night the building was without water at 8:00pm. I asked other residents if they had water and determined that the entire building was without it. I went to ask members of the owners council (the only ones with a key to the basement) to investigate. The woman who is in control of everything refused to investigate the situation and practically slammed her door in my face. The other two members of the council were not at home. Fortunately, the basement door was unlocked. I asked a tenant who has solved problems before to have a look at the situation. The basement light was out, so he had to get a light to check the switches for the water pump and check if the cistern was full of water. He resolved the problem in about 20 minutes.

I plan on interviewing and presenting at least three candidates for consorcio administration, that no one knows or can recommend for compensation. Three corrupt administrators is enough.

Last edited:
I come here every so often to see what's going on. This like simply renting an apartment that turn into quilombos like this are why I'm glad to be out of there.

Good luck

Why are there so many corrupt consorcio administrations?
(1) They ignore Law 941 pertaining to their obligations and know they can get away with it because most owners pay the monthly contribution without reviewing or questioning the expenses;
(2) If a complaint is filed against an administration, the consumer protection agency which investigates, mediates, and determines any action, usually does nothing to enforce the law nor sanctions or removes the administrator from the register;
(3) Administrators take on as many consorcios as possible to make more money instead of providing administration according to the law.

I've realized there is corruption and have filed complaints against two previous administrators and the current one. The course to become a registered administrator in CABA requires two sessions of online classes per week for three months. Online information doesn't even mention an exam at the end of the course to qualify for registration. This is a job that anyone with computer skills can manage without having about accounting or management skills or experience.

Our current administration has been registered for almost ten years and manages 30 consorcios. Since I moved into the building, the consorcio has had four registered administrators. The first was a lawyer who managed for nine years until resigning because of harassment from a resident. The next one was chosen by an owner, who was receiving compensation for her silence; the owner was one of only two who voted to renew the mandate. That revealed the reason. The second corrupt administrator got the consorcio into serious debt over three years, and did not turn over documentation to her replacement. The current one is more incompetent and corrupt than the last two. I seem to be the only one who notices the problem.

We have never been provided a copy of the consorcio bank account summary, bills, receipts, etc. included with the monthly liquidation. The current administration promised "transparency" in the presentation letter, but has failed in that regard. How do we know that what is posted on the liquidation is the actual amount charged without comparing all details on the bank summary? No bank account summary is a red flag indicating corruption. Our Edesur bills are paid at Banelco after the first expiration date (7 out of 12 times this year), resulting in a higher amount that an insolvent consorcio can hardly afford.

Recently, I went to the bank to see what information I could obtain about our account. The employee appeared surprised that an owner requested copies of the monthly statements, I showed the only bank statement I had from years ago that had no details except the IVA charges for every transaction, because these banks operate for the sole purpose of making money. Banco Ciudad offers free accounts to consorcios, so why have we wasted so much money for years paying all these charges? The employee wouldn't even show me our account on the computer screen. "The information is private and only for the administration." So while the consorcistas pay the monthly contributions toward building expenses, we have no right to see the bank summary. This employee, who probably wasn't doing much at her desk, had to smoke a cigarette outside after our fifteen minute conversation. After she finished with her cell phone, I asked her why are there months when we have $5.000 in bank charges and other months only $1.000? "Sometimes the charges are waived." I didn't believe her for one second. Does the bank program accounts to exclude the charges? No. It's all about how the administration wants to play with the money and defraud the consorcio.

My next place to obtain information was with AFIP. I went without an appointment and approached someone to ask for information. I explained that a previous administration missed several payments for the employee due to "lack of funds" and wanted to know the current amount. (Someone outside of the agency calculated an estimate of accummulated interest in 2021 -- $600,000.) Sebastian spent time listening to me explain the situation, and then consulted his boss. He then directed me to another section that correspondes to our address. I approached a woman who said, "I'm busy working, so take a seat and wait for me to call on you." There were only two customers in the large waiting area. The man at the next desk asked me to approach a few minutes later. Once again I explained the situation. Then he responded with a diatribe that was incomprehensible to me. I was dumbfounded by his verbal attack. I returned to report this to the first employee Sebastian, who knew I would not get any information from him.

I came to the conclusion that the reason there are so many corrupt administrators is because their transactions through banks and AFIP are private from the people who should receive complete transparency for financial transactions.

AFIP sent me a survey to report on the visit. I didn't provide my email during the visit, but then all of my personal information is stored and avaTilable to all government employees, right?
Thanks so much jantango !

Back