Unable To Call Arg Using Usa Iphone?

Vagrant Violet

Registered
Hello, all!

First and foremost, I want to preface this post by explaining that although this may not be a BAexpat issue per se, due to the specific circumstances, I figured that this was still a valid platform to use to ask. Anyway, here is my spoiled, first world problem...

I am currently back in the States, and recently bought an unlocked iPhone. I put my Claro SIM card in from my old Samsung, and eventually all my contacts were able to sync, etc. The curious thing, however, is that I can not call abroad using the iPhone. USA numbers are fine, but not any Argentine numbers (cell or landlines). No idea why. I already contacted Apple tech support and successfully fully stumped them. They were ultimately unable to help resolve the issue.

I am hoping that once I return to Argentina and its territory, this issue may resolve itself, but I am still concerned, because I don't want to be stuck with an expensive paperweight when I get home. Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Or am I doing something wrong when attempting to dial?

Thank you in advance,
Violet

I don't think it has anything to do with your iPhone but your Claro plan. did you get plan America by chance?

Hi, Nikad!
As far as I know, I just have a "normal" plan that receives a bill at the end of each month with a fixed amount (not pay as you go). Ni idea ������
If you don't have roaming enabled you won't be able to call to Argentina. It all has to do with your cell phone plan and not the iPhone itself. Just be careful not to play around making calls on your Claro sim card as you might return to BsAs to some crazy Claro bill. Your best bet is to get a local - US - prepaid sim card to play around with the phone.

Hi Violet,

To be able to call abroad (and from abroad) from any country, you need to activate "DDI Full" option on your Claro plan. (DDI stands for Direct Dial-In).

Go to Mi Claro -> Servicios -> Configurar Mi Linea, scroll down. Enable "DDI Full" as shown on the picture.

Good luck and have a good time in the USA.

Attachments

• ddifull.jpg
    ddifull.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
a very inocent basic basic comment....... :rolleyes:

Make sure your BA cell phones have the format +54 911 xxxx xxxx . A friend entered the numbers for BA as 011 xxxx xxxx ??? and it worked in BA...! :mad:

Back