USD account for prospective rentista visa

The main issue that we are facing is: How does one even open a bank account in the first place without a valid DNI? I've had no luck whatsoever; even while being accompanied by Argentino friends to help.

Also, what is the rational behind demanding that dollars be deposited in a local bank account, only to be immediately devalued as pesos, absent any guarantee of being granted a pensionado visa conditional upon the deposit(s)? It is nonsensical. I am curious as to whether anyone else is on the horns of this dilemma. Thanks in advance.
The account has a dollar account, the dollars stay in dollars. In my experience, if they're transferred to your dollar account, they're not automatically pesified.

Also, what is the rational behind demanding that dollars be deposited in a local bank account, only to be immediately devalued as pesos, absent any guarantee of being granted a pensionado visa conditional upon the deposit(s)? It is nonsensical. I am curious as to whether anyone else is on the horns of this dilemma. Thanks in advance.
I agree. It been seven months since these new rules were introduced, and these questions have been there since the start. The process makes no sense: you open an account (even though a bank won't do that until you at least have reached precaria stage), you start depositing money into it, and then, perhaps months later (and months of deposits later), they might get around to assessing your application. And reject it on other grounds.

Thank you, how long ago did you go? Google is showing that location has been permanently closed.
Santander confirmed that the branch at Santa Fe 1146 is still open and offered me the manager's e-mail, pretamozo [at] santander.com.ar.

Santander confirmed that the branch at Santa Fe 1146 is still open and offered me the manager's e-mail, pretamozo [at] santander.com.ar.
I went this week to Banco Municipal and got an account set up to transfer into. Thank you for your help.

The account has a dollar account, the dollars stay in dollars. In my experience, if they're transferred to your dollar account, they're not automatically pesified.
@julia_en_ruta
I got a cuenta unica at Santander last week, I think I can see pesos but also USD balance. They share the same CBU number though, is it the same for your account ? When making a SWIFT transfer in USD to your Arg Santander account it works putting the CBU only, SWIFT number is not needed?

Thank you for your help ;)

@julia_en_ruta
I got a cuenta unica at Santander last week, I think I can see pesos but also USD balance. They share the same CBU number though, is it the same for your account ? When making a SWIFT transfer in USD to your Arg Santander account it works putting the CBU only, SWIFT number is not needed?

Thank you for your help ;)
Yes, they have the same CBU. You do need a SWIFT code for the bank.

Yes, they have the same CBU. You do need a SWIFT code for the bank.
That sounds a bit strange to me, both my previous account (ICBC) and my current one (Itaú) had different CBUs and aliases for Peso and Dollar accounts.

And yes, to make a transfer from outside Argentina you need the bank SWIFT code (BSCHARBA in the case of Santander Argentina) and the appropriate CBU. No IBANs in Argentina.

@FrankPintor

I'll use BSCHARBA as SWIFT code then.

@julia_en_ruta
You confirm you also use that Swift code? How much fees in any Santander charges you when they credit the USDs to your account? Are they fixed fees no matter what the the transfer amount is?

Thanks guys!

Back