Wages in Argentina Suffer Record Drop

Sounds like he is speaking figuratively to me - if you have dollar bank notes which you’ve currently just been using for saving rather than spending then you’d soon better get used to using them for spending as well (a pretty foreign concept for Argentines who traditionally only ever use them for very specific things such as savings, travel and buying property etc.)

If you receive your salary in pesos as a bank deposit, once/ if they lift the CEPO there would be nothing stopping you from changing those pesos into physical dollars, withdrawing them and using them for payment.

What he is saying reminds me of Cambodia where it is actually comparatively more difficult to get your hands on local currency while it’s easier to see and transact in dollars. (I remember most ATMs I encountered didn’t even dispense local currency notes, they would just spit out the equivalent in USD bills, despite local bills being fully legal tender and practical for small purchases so I had to change dollars for riels with my driver)

I think we travel in different circles. Most people I know have max a couple hundred dollars saved, or nothing at all. Pretty sure that wont last a months/years long brutal "adjustment" the caste was supposed to pay for.
i didnt say tens of thousands, and neither did that article unless i missed it somewhere

If you follow local business news you will quickly see how basic wages in various sectors are. Here is an example:
Various health care worker unions starting basic salaries (before extra for seniority etc) for non-managerial workers:
- Category A University Graduate ARS 1.333.650 (US$1313)
With all due respect to local business news, does anyone here actually know any recent university graduates who are earning more than a million pesos per month? I’m curious about real-life examples.

With all due respect to local business news, does anyone here actually know any recent university graduates who are earning more than a million pesos per month? I’m curious about real-life examples.
I know one person earning above 1.5 million, the rest are struggling way below. Now, those are with salaries. Those that aren't earning salaries are way above in my opinion. It is hard to get any real data, Argentines are very secretive regarding their earnings. So I usually hear complaints, not how good someone is going through..

Empirical, but nope, the people in their early 20s I know are struggling just like those in their 30s/40s/50s/60s/etc. This isn't new to Argentina, it was this way with Alberto too, but the only people who seem to be thriving are the Caste. Funny how that happens

The numbers I shared with you are real life examples. Paritarias and agreed wages according to role with unions are legally binding for every single worker and company covered by them, whether you’ve just graduated or not. So of course I some recent graduates earning around/ just above a million depending on their role.

With all due respect to the desire for real-life examples, where else in Latin America do recent university graduates tend to earn more than a thousand dollars per month?

The numbers I shared with you are real life examples
Just having a salary number and proclaiming it to be true isn't a real-life example. You need to show someone who actually gets that salary for it to be real.

With all due respect to the desire for real-life examples, where else in Latin America do recent university graduates tend to earn more than a thousand dollars per month?
I feel like there might be a disconnect between your imagination and what's actually happening on the ground.

@Sybille do you know any recent university graduates who are earning more than a million pesos per month?

Just having a salary number and proclaiming it to be true isn't a real-life example. You need to show someone who actually gets that salary for it to be real.

I feel like there might be a disconnect between your imagination and what's actually happening on the ground.

@Sybille do you know any recent university graduates who are earning more than a million pesos per month?
What do you want, the nómina of all companies to be public information? A 101 course in labour law and HR practices?

Before dismissing facts, you could perhaps qualify your understanding (or selective imagination…) of what you think is happening on the ground? Which sector do you work in and have first hand knowledge of?

Some expats tend to have a bubble mentality, assuming if it’s bad for one worker they casually happen to know, it must be bad for all workers and an income of $1000 a month could only possible for some mysterious sort of Argentine nobility and of course elite expats like themselves who make up the entire Argentine middle class … yet they forget that the people who share their apartment buildings, talk on iPhones, form one of the hundreds of thousands of people living in their nice neighborhood, wait in endless lines at overpriced supermarkets like Jumbo, rent apartments in Palermo Hollywood listed online, packing night clubs and concerts, clogging the streets with cars, fill planes to Miami, Bariloche and Brazil with tourists or fill cafes and restaurants with diners, paying the same prices for the things as you, are indeed workers too.

Back