Recent content by Vagrant Violet

  1. Vagrant Violet

    Children with disabilities

    Hello, Amy! I have years of navigating the private insurance system (namely with OSDE) with my Argentine husband, as I have two sons who both have autism and require therapies, special schooling, teaching aides, and so on. In regards to your concern about stigmas against those with disabilities...
  2. Vagrant Violet

    Best songs of Argentina

    I’ve got two songs. Different singers, totally different genres, different messages, but equally memorable!: “La Argentinidad al Palo” “Como la Cigarra”
  3. Vagrant Violet

    Mint Condition HP Gaming Laptop For Sale

    Hello, everyone, Last year, I purchased an HP gaming laptop during my last trip to the US for my son, who is a budding gamer...
  4. Vagrant Violet

    Need recommendations for veterinarians + cat kennels

    I can also recommend a pet sitter - I don't think she speaks English, but she is very responsible and loves animals. Her name is Magui. Here is her poster. Her Instagram handle is: Cat Sitter Cerecita / cerecita_jacqui . If you do reach out, feel free to tell her that Lauren recommended her :)
  5. Vagrant Violet

    Argentina's suicide rate up 50% since 2020

    A very hard pill to swallow (pun semi-intended). It was difficult for me to read the article; nevertheless, a worthy read. I’ve had the experience of trying to navigate my own trials with mental illness for decades, including here in Buenos Aires. Committing myself to a private short-term...
  6. Vagrant Violet

    Different Minds Learn!

    📚 NEW ENGLISH BOOK CLUB MEETING FOR KIDS — OLIVOS, ZONA NORTE We're reading Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax" — and we can't wait! 🌳 Join us for another fun, inclusive English book club for kids ages 6–12. All levels welcome! The session is beginner-friendly and fully differentiated for different ages and...
  7. Vagrant Violet

    Looking for a PC - fed up with Macs

    In the event you might still be in the market for a PC, I have a Victus HP gaming PC from the United States that I bought for my son less than 1 year ago. It has 512 gb memory, 16 gb RAM and an intel 5 processor. He never wound up using it in the end (in fact, the charger is still in the...
  8. Vagrant Violet

    Question Re. Bringing In Vitamins

    You will be totally fine. I have brought up to 10 - 12 different sized jars of vitamins, calcium supplements, gummy vitamins for my kids, biotin, etc. in a single arrival. I was only questioned once in all these years by customs (though they didn’t even ask to open my luggage). I simply told...
  9. Vagrant Violet

    Different Minds Learn!

    (Spanish announcement below) Hey, all! I am excited to announce the first of many in-person book club meetings for kids in English... check it out! :cool: 📚 ENGLISH BOOK CLUB FOR KIDS — OLIVOS, ZONA NORTE Are you looking for a fun, supportive way for your child to practice English? Come join a...
  10. Vagrant Violet

    New mental health law would change hospitalization rules

    I recently came across this article in the Buenos Aires Herald, whose headline immediately caught my attention: https://buenosairesherald.com/society/new-mental-health-law-would-change-hospitalization-rules-experts-say-peoples-rights-could-suffer In an nutshell, it explains that the current...
  11. Vagrant Violet

    Different Minds Learn!

    Dear BAExpat community, it's Vagrant Violet! As you may know, I've been a member of this forum for quite a long time, often commenting to give my two cents about all things related to English teaching/ESL. I am thrilled to officially launch my new teaching website and services, with one simple...
  12. Vagrant Violet

    Was Moving to Buenos Aires the Best Decision of Your Life — or the Hardest? (USA/Canada Expats)

    I would say simply "yes": coming to live in Argentina has been BOTH one of the best decisions I've made by far, and equally one of the most difficult. For context, I grew up mostly in Ohio in the United States. I arrived at Ezeiza airport in January 2009, using my severance pay from an English...
  13. Vagrant Violet

    If one were to make Mac and cheese…

    I've found cheddar cheese here easily (at least on my block in Nuñez, there's a quesería, which sells all types of cheeses - https://www.instagram.com/queserialavuelta/). In any case, I've made stovetop mac n' cheese many times, here is my go-to recipe...
  14. Vagrant Violet

    How's everyone hanging in there with the cost of living these days?

    I’m not quite sure exactly when, how, or why this thread about the cost of living went so horribly awry to this extent, yet here we are. I figure I would now like to throw in my two cents as long as we’re going totally off the rails (why the hell not?). In this world that has never been more...
  15. Vagrant Violet

    Fiber Supplements Needed

    Hi, pmacay! My husband used to take Metamucil that I brought from when I used to travel to the United States. He no longer needs it, but we still have a 15 ounce jar that is fairly full. It’s no longer sealed and it expired this past October (2025). However, if you would like it, it’s yours...
Back
Top