‘We’re suddenly drowning in people’: Argentinians flock to Uruguay amid pandemic

samsam

Registered

Interesting that it seems the business of new residency is booming there while some places have delays or shut down altogether that kind of visa/residency process.

And, I know it's the Guardian, but it's not every day you see news about Argentina in the wild so I thought it might be of interest to some here that didn't cross it yet.

Buquebus runs at least once a week! You can even check their schedule online. Requires a non tourist type of visa, residency or citizenship. And says they do a covid test on everyone.

Buquebus runs at least once a week! You can even check their schedule online. Requires a non tourist type of visa, residency or citizenship. And says they do a covid test on everyone.
Thanks. I had read about that covid testing proposal long ago, but never knew they got it up and running.

It's been SOP to run across the river when things get complicated since the times on the Viceroy or earlier.

One of the main reasons why our neighbor is called the Switzerland of South America is not their skying resorts, the cheese or the chocolate but the warm welcoming of funds of varied nature without too many questions asked and the uttermost discretion and secrecy.

The world has changed slightly regarding those practices but the principle remains.

So, what else is new?

Iz

My guess is the large majority of these people already own places there, and are just going thru the paperwork. I know a good dozen people with property in Uruguay, ranging from penniless old hippies who bought land 30 years ago, to really rich people with beach houses in Jose Ignacio. One thing Argentines are extremely good at is having a backup plan. They have money stashed away, they have granny's apartment they rent out, they have that lot in Rocha they bought in 1980. But, really, 20,000 argentines isnt a very significant number out of 40 million, nor is it really that big of a bump in Uruguay's population of 3.5 million people. Its significant, but hardly some major migration.

Anecdotally, in recent days I have learned of at least 10 Argentines who have made the decision to move abroad by themselves or with their families. About half are going to Uruguay since it is an easy option. Most are young professionals from well to do families who no longer see a future here. Many locals are starting to compare this to the exodus of the 2002 era where “everyone” knows someone who leaves, while lamenting themselves about staying or raising a family here.

While the numbers are probably a drop in the ocean from the bubble of “well off” Argentines, I would argue the impact has a financial multiplier effect since these are the exact group of people who are well educated, have productive jobs or businesses, pay taxes and inherit fortunes (e.g. Capital) to have potential to be able to invest in or strengthen the economy. Something this government and its manufactured class-war mentality fail to understand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 2
Back