1 Peso Coins : Why So Few? Tips For Getting Them?

Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that Sube cards were tough to get or not available for visitors. Maybe that was last year's news. I'm in Barrio Norte. I think there's someone I can ask locally.

hey. i will save you hours of trouble, as i too was told i could go anywhere to get a sube card maybe i just have extraoridnarily bad luck- but i started at a kiosk, then another, then was told i had to go to a correo. i went to one, waited for almost an hour to be told that it was afuera de servicio. i then went to yet another and was told that foreignors can only get a sube card at one of the three SUBE centers. period. i dont have the papelito with all three addresses . i went to this one and think its probably the closest to barrio norte: Av Callao 316

I had to show my passport, provide an address and it was required to pay for it with a credit card. no cash. once you have the card you can add credit with cash from a multitude of places including kioskos.​

i got mine less than three weeks ago.​

i am jealous that so many others magicallly got them in random places but i guess just typically random for here. but if you dont feel like a goose chase, hit up the callao one...you also need to give them a local address...​

having said that, if you are paranoid about having big brother tracking your public transport adventures, may be worth it to pursue this villa crespo/other options that appraently don't require any id...

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I did want to give an update that getting them from a bank may also not be an option. At least it wasn't for the 3 banks that I've stood in line to ask (Citibank, BBVA Frances, Ciudad Nacional). I had still wanted to get the coins for the washer/dryers in the apartment building where I'm staying, but I've given up and will just have someone else do the laundry for me. Still pursuing the sube card and hope to get that soon.

My landlord did tell me that even if the banks did have coins, they would likely only give me 10 at a time. This would explain why stores don't have them either: there just aren't many to be had.

Back