10 day trip: Santiago-Buenos Aires

Clo

Registered
Hi there

I am planning a 10 day trip with two friends from Santiago to buenos Aires. I have a couple of questions and would love any advice from fellow expats who have done a something similar. To begin with, we are all happy in backpackers and are probably keenest on good wine, food and a few good nature trips (kayaking, climbing, horse riding etc)

At the moment we are thinking

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S..._Cm9DPlOO8q8lTGHjuiILoGzoA&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&z=6

Fly BA-Santiago, spend 1 day in Santiago.

Casablanca Valley (1day)-

Valparaiso (1day)- take bus over the A

ndes to Mendoza (2-3 days there).

San Louis (1 day)-

Cordoba (1-2 days)-

Rosario (1-2days) and then back to BA.

We plan to take buses the whole time, except for the initial flight from BA to Santiago.

I guess our main questions are:

a) Is it safe crossing the Andes by bus? Statisicly speaking - how often do buses crash and should we actually be worried about it? Where are the main boarder crossings? Any bus company recommendations that go from Valparisio? Is there a way to save on the bus fare by buying one ticket with hop on and off options or ill we have to buy separate fares for each place?

b) Is this trip viable in 10 or so days or will we be really rushing it?

c) Are there any towns along this route that you would highly recommend or suggest completely missing?

Thanks in advance!

This sounds like too much in 10 days IMO.

Personally I'd skip Valparaiso and Rosario. Not much in either place. For good food and wine I'd choose Vina del Mar-- incredible seafood.

If you're based in BA, I'd save Cordoba for another trip. Rosario for a weekend.

So my personal itinerary would be 2 days in Santiago, rent car and do 3 days based in Vina with one day spent in Casablanca, bus to Mendoza (safe as far as I've seen) 4 days in Mendoza to really see it and fly back to BA if funds permit.

This would let you really see these places and avoid lots of hours on buses.

I did the Andes crossing years ago, no problem at all, the road was good.

Do not forget your passports,etc.

I would say it's too much also. You will spend most of your time on buses and in bus stations.

Personally, I really like Valparaiso. A bit more run down, but much more charming than it's more fancy neighbour Vina Del Mar, so I guess it depends what your after. If you only have 10 days, as suggested, maybe skip out on Cordoba, and also Rosario for another time.

The Andes crossing is fine, and a beautiful bus ride. Sometimes it is closed because of snow, so just check for that.

I agree with Andrew and also loved Valparaiso (but Valparaiso and Viña del Mar are twin cities so it's not like you can't see one if you see the other. I'd at least stay one night there. I's also choose to skip Cordoba and/or Rosario to spend a bit more time in your destinations. have a fun trip!!

go to the vineyards if you like it, close to Santiago, Concha y Toro tour is short but nice. In Santiago, nothing much but go to Pablo Neruda's home, La Chascona, my fave. If you need tips on Santiago, let me know, since I ve lived there. Buen Viaje!

Clo said:
spend 1 day in Santiago.
Why would anyone spend more than 4 minutes in Santiago? (I know the bloody town, which is even worse than BsAs).

Clo said:
Valparaiso (1day)
Cut Santiago and spend one more day in Valpo, where I have lived for almost a year (crazy houses

3531198463_68846f1299_b.jpg
and funiculars ("elevators")
Ascensores_de_Valparaiso.jpg
from Plan to the 17 hills), and Viña (8 km distance).
Qw9qfzXX1Qk
Watch movie, funiculars at 1:08 and 7:33: http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw9qfzXX1Qk

There are no direct busses from SCL (Santiago airport) to Valpo, but LAN runs busses from SCL to Viña five times a day, 08:10 + 12:15 + 16:00 + 21:00 + 22:30. Reservation phone in Chile: 600 526 2000.

Clo said:
Is it safe crossing the Andes by bus? Statisicly speaking - how often do buses crash and should we actually be worried about it? Where are the main boarder crossings? Any bus company recommendations that go from Valparisio?
I have crossed las cordilleras de L.A. about 50 times during the last 8 years (last time six weeks ago), safer than most, many busdrivers have crossed 100-150 times a year for many years and know every stone on the road. Best busses IMO are AndesMar and Cata. There is only one border crossing, called Paso de los Liberadores/Cristo Redentor. Check the tunnel:
http://www.vialidad.mendoza.gov.ar/index.php?id_menu=75 and http://www.mendozasun.com/mendoza/general/896-tunel-cristo-redentor-mendoza-argentina-status

Clo said:
Is there a way to save on the bus fare by buying one ticket with hop on and off options or ill we have to buy separate fares for each place?
Not that I know of.

Clo said:
Is this trip viable in 10 or so days or will we be really rushing it?
More or less like doing the US in a week.

I would drop San Luis and Rosario, or perhaps visit San Luis and Córdoba but drop Rosario, which is within reasonable distance (4 hours) for a weekend trip from BsAs.

- just my 500 dollars ;)

JB, without speaking for the author, I'd say that the reason for all those stops on the trip is because they are taking buses the entire time. So we're talking nearby Cordoba is still 9-10 hours. So while it might seem like a lot of stops for a trip, the stops at least enable one to get off the bus for an evening.

As someone who can't sleep on planes, buses, etc, I can relate to needing to stop like that. But I fly to Santiago from BA, would never take a bus when I can take a 2 hr flight for under $200US.

Clo said:
Hi there

I am planning a 10 day trip with two friends from Santiago to buenos Aires. I have a couple of questions and would love any advice from fellow expats who have done a something similar. To begin with, we are all happy in backpackers and are probably keenest on good wine, food and a few good nature trips (kayaking, climbing, horse riding etc)

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S..._Cm9DPlOO8q8lTGHjuiILoGzoA&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&z=6

San Louis (1 day)-

Cordoba (1-2 days)-

We plan to take buses the whole time, except for the initial flight from BA to Santiago.

a) Is it safe crossing the Andes by bus? Statisicly speaking - how often do buses crash and should we actually be worried about it? Where are the main boarder crossings? Any bus company recommendations that go from Valparisio? Is there a way to save on the bus fare by buying one ticket with hop on and off options or ill we have to buy separate fares for each place?

c) Are there any towns along this route that you would highly recommend or suggest completely missing?

Thanks in advance!

I did a 10 day trip to Santiago just a few weeks ago, love that city. I flew there, $72US each way before taxes, 2 hr flight. But the girl I was with traveled by bus since she left BA a few days earlier to go to Mendoza. She crossed over the Andes. She did have a problem though because you actually have to wait in TWO lines for your paperwork: 1 line for the Argentina exist and another line for Chile entrance. You can just as easily hop on the bus after the Argentina exit stamp and get in without a Chile stamp. But of course, you won't be able to get back in Argentina. So on my trip, we had to spend a few hours going through the process downtown of getting a passport stamp a few days before leaving.

So the moral is make sure you get both stamps, wait in both lines.

Also note, it's winter. So it actually took my travel companion 3 days to get back to Argentina as the crossing was closed. Meanwhile, me being on a plane, I had no problems.

Clo said:
Hi there

San Louis (1 day)-

Cordoba (1-2 days)-

Thanks in advance!

I did a 10 day trip to Santiago just a few weeks ago, love that city. I flew there, $72US each way before taxes, 2 hr flight. But the girl I was with traveled by bus since she left BA a few days earlier to go to Mendoza. She crossed over the Andes. She did have a problem though because you actually have to wait in TWO lines for your paperwork: 1 line for the Argentina exist and another line for Chile entrance. You can just as easily hop on the bus after the Argentina exit stamp and get in without a Chile stamp. But of course, you won't be able to get back in Argentina. So on my trip, we had to spend a few hours going through the process downtown of getting a passport stamp a few days before leaving.

So the moral is make sure you get both stamps, wait in both lines.

Also note, it's winter. So it actually took my travel companion 3 days to get back to Argentina as the crossing was closed. Meanwhile, me being on a plane, I had no problems.

Back