10 Rights You Didn't Know You Had

Girino

Registered
http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/derechos-consumo-vulnerados-leyes_0_1288071223.html

This article highlights some of the rights we are entitled as consumers and that are stepped over everyday.
I am sure everybody on this board has been fooled at least once.
I was charged $1 to recharge my SUBE in a kiosk - turns out it is illegal.

The guards in the supermarket can't legally ask to look in your bag! One time a guard at the COTO on Cabildo/Gorostiaga wanted to look in my bag since I had entered the store on one end, checked the price on a plate, and then was exiting out the other end. (Actually I was going to pay something at Rapipago but the line was too long so I decided just to head out the back door). So she asked to see what was in my bag and there was a bottle of water. She asked, 'why didn't you get this tagged? It could be that you stole it from the store. That's why we have the tagging system for if you enter with anything that we sell in the store, so we know you brought it with you." I was like, um, there are cameras everywhere, I literally walked directly in the front door 2 minutes ago to come back here to see the Rapipago line, and do you think I really need to steal a water bottle and try to pass it off like it was always mine... don't you have anything better to do with your time you annoying lady...
They have no power so they try to get it where they can....

A cashier at Carrefour recently asked me when checking out: "do you have anything in your mochila that we sell in this store?" I made her repeat the question in disbelief as it sank in. Then I said no, if I had more items they would be right in front of you. I don't know what I did to be questioned like a potential shoplifter. Treating customers like this can't be good for business.

Yes this seems to be a new policy of coto I never had this happen before but now all the time and I protest!

A cashier at Carrefour recently asked me when checking out: "do you have anything in your mochila that we sell in this store?" I made her repeat the question in disbelief as it sank in. Then I said no, if I had more items they would be right in front of you. I don't know what I did to be questioned like a potential shoplifter. Treating customers like this can't be good for business.

And yet, I can name three stores in the US who will not let you leave (without a fight) until they've verified items in your bag/basket against your receipt - and I'm sure there are others I don't know about. It's not just Argentina.

Wineguy999: this is not a US v. Argentina thing (although this never happened to me in the US). It's simply stupid and inefficient (anywhere it may happen) to harass customers like this without at least a reasonable suspicion that they were in fact shoplifting. Every person wearing a backpack can't be an automatic suspect, otherwise we'll be waiting in line all day. Oh wait.

I don't know, I like complaining as much as the next guy but I do think some understanding is in order.

Shoplifting is a problem all over the world, and I'm sure it's a bigger problem here. A system in which stuff can be tagged before entry is prudent, if unpleasant. Most of the time, in the bigger COTO's, I get stopped on the way into the store and the guy suggests to tag anything which might be problematic on the way out. They're not looking to cause customers hassle, they're looking to not get ripped off. Which happens. A proper system has to balance both sides' concerns, and while they're not perfect I've personally have little problem with their policy over several years. They ask once in a blue moon - always politely - if they can look in my bag. Sure, here. Anything which I don't want inspected I leave in a locker on the way in - or have them put in a bag.

As to charging for a SUBE refill, it may be against the law technically. Then again, probably so is selling USD for the blue rate on Florida, and I don't see much complaining about that. There are plenty of stores that don't charge for a SUBE refill - vote with your feet and let the market do its thing. And we're talking about 1 peso, US 7¢.

I wanted to exchange some clothing on a Saturday back in December. On the counter, the store had a little sign talking about this law which establishes that exchanges have to be done ANY day.

The cashier refused because she could not do exchanges on Saturdays. I pointed out "you have a sign here that says something else, call your manager please". Of course, they stall you, the manager takes some time to appear, she repeats the same speech about not being able to do exchanges on weekends... I repeat my part. She insists. I insist. She instructs the employee to do the exchange. They never apologize.

Why does it have to be SO hard? This is why argentinos don't even bother to complain sometimes... these little things take the energy out of you.

----

At Coto, I just go ahead, show them whatever item I have that may seem suspicious and have them mark it. But I REFUSE to have them put things in plastic bags... It is so ridiculous that they do not give bags away at the register to "cuidar el medio ambiente" and then they wrap your food in a million layers of shrink wrap, and they put your backpack in a bag. Idiots.

And yet, I can name three stores in the US who will not let you leave (without a fight) until they've verified items in your bag/basket against your receipt - and I'm sure there are others I don't know about. It's not just Argentina.
It happens in other countries as well.

Back