15 Reason To Hate (Er,... I Could Do Without ) Ba Living...

Aside from the obvious cases where the bus is already full, negligence, laziness, shift is almost over, etc I gather that the routes may be timed and they are sometimes attempting to catch up to where they are supposed to be on the route? It seems I notice them sometimes trying to create some distance with another collectivo following closely behind. I've never asked them. Are the routes timed?

Yes the routes are timed, they put a stupid amount of pressure on the drivers to complete the route within a certain time regardless of cortes, congestion, what have you. SO you get idiot bus drivers who race through red lights (on cabildo you'll see 8 of them rush through a red), don't stop to pick up passengers, ignore people pulling the buzzer for a stop etc. This seems to have been behind a number of the bus accidents where they have hit cyclists, pedestrians etc. There are certain points where you'll see that an inspector might get on the bus for a moment or go round the drivers window to talk to him, they seem to be stamping them in/out at points along the route. I wonder if "on time schedule" made/'makes any difference to the amount of subsidies a line gets? Now with the SUBE card they can track how many people are getting on and off that info could be used not just for the subsidies but would be nice if it was actually used by the companies to analyse bottlenecks and figure out where/when they should be putting more buses on the routes.

15 reason to hate (er,... I could do without ) BA living...

5. Broken sidewalks that make you trip & send you flying through the air.

11. Grafitti "artist" who deface architecture treasures with their spray paint.

Tripping on broken sidewalks is not what bothers me. What bothers me is when you step on a broken tile -- usually it's one of those ones that you don't realise is broken until YUCK!!!! A splash of god-knows-what goes up your leg. You tell yourself it's just water, but you can never ever shake that feeling that it's dog piss all over you.

Graffiti ART doesn't bother me -- tagging bothers me. Stupid ugly tags all over the place. But there is some amazing graffiti art around. I keep meaning to take some pics of some of the art in our neighbourhood. Some of it is obviously better than other, there's some that are just fun, and there are some portraits that are pretty amazing.

My pet hate is walking through acrid clouds of black fumes chugging out of exhausts of vans and collectivos. The pollution has got to be the most noxious aspect of the city.

15 reason to hate (er,... I could do without ) BA living...

1. Soccer hooligans.

2. Uncollected garbage that piles up on the sidewalk.

3. Air polluting & noisy cars, buses, motorcycles.

4. Bus drivers who intentionally avoid picking up passengers. WUWT ???

5. Broken sidewalks that make you trip & send you flying through the air.

6. Stray dogs. I love dogs & all animals. But too many strays on the street.

7. People who cut off traffic to make a political point.

8. Subway that closes from 11 PM. to 5 AM.

9. Corrupt, manipulative & greedy Politicians & Union leaders.

10. Scam artist, fraudsters & thiefs. They should be considered a national "treasure" .

11. Grafitti "artist" who deface architecture treasures with their spray paint.

12. Having to miss-pronounce English words so the locals can understand ... Router ?... Rooter!, Giga ?... Geega !

13. Men who dress up as women. !!! OMG !!! They're a plague !!! Actually I feel sorry for them.

14. Apartment owners who have no qualms about punching out huge holes to put in an AC unit in Beaux Arts / Art Nouveau buildings.

15. Irresponsible parents who send their young children to beg in restaurants & trains. Shame on them !!!.

All in all I'm very happy living in BA. No doubt about it, I'm staying. I love it !!!. But these are the things I could do without.
Cheers !!!

Hard to disagree with any of them, but the most odious are the soccer jerks (if that's not redundant) and the trash situation (including people who don't clean up after their dogs, though there has been very gradual improvement on that issue).

on the subject of dog sh...mess, I always carry bags for my mutt and I know that all the people in the park where I go generally do. Sadly those lazy swine who leave it on the footpath don't and give the rest of us a bad name. I shouted after an guy who left his four legged friends gifts outside our house yesterday and he walked off pretending he couldn't hear.

Same solution as per traffic offenses is required here....fines fines and more fines. Sadly the local law enforcement are more likely to stood outside the local arboilto collecting their real wages.

Describing people as a "plague" is plain ugly.

Live and let live. Be a dull world if we all had to dress and expresses ourselves in the same way.

Here here ! Quite frankly I would rather have people waiting whatever they want rather than having a city full of nastiness where people think it is OK to call other people a plague.

Hang your head in shame. Celebrate the diversity.

Every city has its ups and downs. In New York City the subway smells of piss and make porteños look like miss manners.

(also no excuse about talking trash about travesties)

mariano-BCN said:
[/size]
I would add: Argentineans who have an opinion about everything, specially about world-politics without having a clue what they're talking about

Very good jajjajajaaj... its a latino syndrome saying " NO SE" (I don't know ) on any subject is antinatura.... :D

Tripping on broken sidewalks is not what bothers me. What bothers me is when you step on a broken tile -- usually it's one of those ones that you don't realise is broken until YUCK!!!! A splash of god-knows-what goes up your leg. You tell yourself it's just water, but you can never ever shake that feeling that it's dog piss all over you.

The most of the times, especially in summer, that water is disgustingly hot, and you re wearing bermudas, and the water is also dirty, with that grey-black color... without doubt one of the top 5 more unpleasant experiencces of Baires. And it happens all the time, everywhere.

Back