3Rd Party Liability Insurance

khairyexpat

Registered
Hi:

I have 3rd party liability insurance in Argentina, but it is not the same as my 3rd party liability insurance I used to have in Canada. About a month ago a collectivo rear ended me. My insurance just gave me a report of the accident and told me to deal directly & personally with the insurance of the collectivo.

1. Is this normal here?
2. Is it only my insurance company, or all Argentinean insurance policies are the same?
3. Did my insurance abandon my case because they don`t want to deal with a collectivo insurance, or would they have done the same if the collision were with a private car?
4. What happens if I had a serious big damage, and the other guy had no insurance and no money (as it is common here)?
5. Is my insurance different because I am a non-resident, or all Argentinean insurance policies are the same for residents and non-residents?
6. I know full coverage insurance costs a pretty penny. But what surprises does it have?

It is pretty normal yes, you have to deal with the other party´s insurance company. Hope you got the details of the company, driver´s name, etc. But that is the way it works here. As much as things are hectic, in general everybody has insurance and these companies do pay. All Argentine policies are the same. No your insurance did not abandon you! If the other party had no insurance you are entitled to file a civil lawsuit for damages, etc, that is a long and painful process. Your insurance is no different because you are a non resident. Full coverage is expensive, few people get it, the ones I know that had it had no surprises really and were paid in full after big damages to replace their vehicles as " total destruction " I have no first hand experience though. Hope this helps. It is a relatively easy process what you will be facing, you are going to be asked for a couple of quotes for the repairs, etc.

Thanks Nikad for addressing and answering every question I had, very much appreciated.

over here third party insurance works like this: your insurance is supposed to fix the other car and the insurance of the other car is supposed to fix yours. a colectivo company can offer you to repair your car at their workshop but it`s a better idea to take it somewhere else. take the car to a good mechanic and get a budget.

Back