5G is coming to Argentina

Personally I am more concerned about the pollution from vehicles. Every day there is a film of black on the floors of my apartment. you are more likely to die of lung cancer or Copd. Studies have shown that if you live close to a major highway you are ten times more likely to get Alzheimer's and every street here seems to be a Major Highway. First signs, of course are Paranoia.

5G is and will be happening in the US. There is enough data proving health risks that fire stations have successfully lobbied to keep the new antennas off of their roofs. However, individual cities are basically powerless to keep the antennas out. They are regulated by federal laws which don’t allow for health risks to be taking into account (except for firefighters, clearly). Let’s hope 5G does not come to Argentina...

In 4G the latency is between 50 to 150 milliseconds. With 5G values of 1 to 5 milliseconds are expected.

this is interesting but these milliseconds is latency from client to 5G tower. On top of that there is latency to destination/server.
And if client is located in Argentina and server is in the US then latency is going to exceed 100 milliseconds no matter what.

Also there is one (likely not widely known) thing: if you use mobile data in roaming (like Google Fi or other US carrier SIM card in Argentina) then all your traffic (a bit surprisingly) is routed via the United States (thus adding latency).

Last edited:
Consider these facts.

The companies that are involved in this were targeted by the new government back in the day. Investment drew to a halt in most telecommunication fields for fear of expropiation. 3G wasn't fully and widely deployed when they launched 4G. And 4G is not widely or fully deployed either or likely will ever be.

5G. Maybe. Soon....LOL.

I hadn't noticed the cell towers in my neighborhood until a resident in my building pointed one out to me from the terrace. It's only three blocks away. I spotted another one four blocks away. I was curious if there was a map showing cell towers and coverage in the city. It didn't take long to find one. Claro, Movistar and Personal saturated with 4G, but no 5G yet.

Are there any updates / news when 5G (at least in CABA) is coming?

Back