6 Weeks In Medellin Or Buenos Aires?

Michaelcorleone

Registered
I will take Spanish lesson at either place. Looking for safety and a cool city to learn Spanish

Which city would you pick and why? Or would a city in Spain be better?

Safety? And you came up with B.A.or Medellin? I mean, don't get me wrong BA is a great city but if safety is your first and only concern, you're much better off in Montevideo, Mendoza, or even colonial Mexico. If you want Medellin and Buenos Aires because you have other reasons, then I can tell you B.A. is an amazing city but the metro area has 10 million people and it has big city crime. It's not out of control but it's there.

Medellin, absolutely the first in all terms, way before than BsArs. In safety, cleanness, green areas, friendly people, costs, food and uncomplicated life.

Okay, my two cents about Spanish. I plan to continue to progress until I am conversational (which I am not yet though I get around just fine--there is that fine line) and then I plan to go to Colombia and take a university course in Spanish because Colombia has a reputation for the most pure Spanish. I'm in Chile right now and they seem to lisp and drop the endings on a lot of words.

However, I LOVE what we call the Porteno (squiggle belongs over the "n" there) Spanish. I actually like the way they pronounce the double l's though it is ridiculed elsewhere, There are accents on different syllables and a rhythm to it. But I have this thing about having correct language (though you'd probably never guess it from my hurried posts).

I consider your question legitimate. Most of us have more than one consideration in making a decision. Don't let yourself be intimidated or put down here. Ask what you want. Some of us will be happy to do our best to answer you. Also if you're interested in buying a nice little apartment, Colombia supposedly offers the best investment opportunity right now for that. I hope that, now that you got us involved, you'll let us know what you decided. Either way it's going to be exciting for you I think. And think of all the admiration you'll get back home. Most people think Colombia is MORE scary than B.A. with all those drug lords running around. :D

Safety: Crimes in BsAs are very different from those in Medellin. The crimes in BsAs tend to be a lot less violent if you give up your purse.
Crimes in Medellin are drug related crimes, could be fatal if you try to date a drug dealer's girlfriend.

Both cities are cool, but BsAs is much bigger. Both cities have beauties everywhere.

But Columbia Spanish is supposed to be a lot more standard than Portenor's and people are more pleasant than
Portenors when you barely know the locals. I think Portenors are a little more sophisticated, at least more educated.

These are very different places, spend time at both places and tell us what you like.

If it was winter, I d say Medellin, but in November/December BsAs is great!

If it was me i would take medellin. It is cheaper, people are friendlier, they speak better spanish - or at least i understond alot more than in BSAS. Crime is less, and police actually do their job. The city is cleaner, the subway works, and is modern and clean, accomodation is cheaper and of better quality, and there is alot of stuff to do close by, but outside of the city - as in hiking, camping etc. The food is both cheaper and of better quality - especially if you like tropical friuit, but even meat etc is cheaper or same price and of better quality. Plus you get a way better variety of food compared to BSAS, whether restaurant or supermarket.
Weather is better in medellin too, warm during winter, and not hot and humid during summer like BSAS - they say its is the city of the never ending spring in medellin.
I also never got ripped off because i was a foriegner in medellin, unlike BSAS, and its very easy to buy or sell foriegn currency.
The only downside for me was no direct flights to countries outside of south america, i had to go to bogota.

If it was me i would take medellin. It is cheaper, people are friendlier, they speak better spanish - or at least i understond alot more than in BSAS. Crime is less, and police actually do their job. The city is cleaner, the subway works, and is modern and clean, accomodation is cheaper and of better quality, and there is alot of stuff to do close by, but outside of the city - as in hiking, camping etc. The food is both cheaper and of better quality - especially if you like tropical friuit, but even meat etc is cheaper or same price and of better quality. Plus you get a way better variety of food compared to BSAS, whether restaurant or supermarket.
Weather is better in medellin too, warm during winter, and not hot and humid during summer like BSAS - they say its is the city of the never ending spring in medellin.
I also never got ripped off because i was a foriegner in medellin, unlike BSAS, and its very easy to buy or sell foriegn currency.
The only downside for me was no direct flights to countries outside of south america, i had to go to bogota.

What are you doing in BsAs!!!!!!!

Back