78 days from turno to resuelto for extra-Mercosur permanent residency.

darksider415

Registered
The title says it all, and there are a few magic asterisks to be found in the process, but it's generally straightforward on how I did it, and you might be able to do this too.

Magic Asterisk 1 - My spouse is Brazilian and we applied for permanent residency together. If she had already obtained PR before, we would've probably gotten an interview.

Magic Asterisk 2 - We got married in CABA. I'm absolutely certain this saved time with verifying documents, etc.

Magic Asterisk 3 - I've been taking a sabbatical from work, so I've been able to handle any/all followups from Migraciones within a few minutes.

Magic Asterisk 4 - I'm incredibly persistent, and see above about the sabbatical. If you don't have that kind of energy, you should probably pay someone to do it.

With those out of the way, let's get started. We filed all our docs on 22 December, and secured a preferential turno for 27 December, which wasn't too bad. For her, we had copies of her Brazilian criminal records, passport, and our marriage docs from CABA. For me, it was my US criminal records, apostilled and translated, along with the passport and our marriage documents from CABA.

I used Monument Visa out of Virginia to handle my FBI records/apostille, and it took about a month end-to-end from taking ink fingerprints at Renaper to having an apostilled copy of my FBI report in-hand. Read the Migraciones website, it's generally helpful-ish on what you need to take with you. The only thing we both lacked was our Argentine records, which are taken as part of the non-preferential process, but if you get the preferential turno, have them before you go. This would've saved us both some time, since the instructions failed to mention that.

We drew fresh precarias at the appointment, and booked a turno the following day at Renaper for the Argentine records, which we had in our emails before the cab got home from the turno. Submitted all of that on 28 December, hers went from intimado to en tramite within about an hour, mine took a month, most of which was spent nagging them via the contact form every few days until they processed it. You REALLY want to do this before your turno at Migraciones.

For my spouse, we had to resubmit her Brazilian criminal records, because Brazil changed their system completely between our turno and when it went en supervisión, as well as a copy of her RG, because her passport was issued before they started putting the CPF on Brazilian passports. Overall, it took 55 days end-to-end for her permanent residency, as a Brazilian under Ley 26240.

Once hers was granted, I stepped up my letter writing campaign to every 48 hours, on the dot. I set alarms every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning to send them a letter, and they eventually slipped and sent me a letter saying their timeline for Permanent Residency applications is within 90 days from the in-person turno. After that, I started citing that letter in my 3x/week letter campaign.

23 days later, with no extra fuss or intimaciónes or other bureaucratic hurdles, I got my resuelto. Be polite, be firm and be persistent, and you'll get through the Migraciones hurdles, too.

Screenshot_20240314_164027.png

for those of us in the US. my colombian wife just received her green card afte a tear and a half. we used a local attorney and immigration asked for 2 different clarifications on documents submitted. more time. the difference came after applying for a pradon to travel. it requires an immigration interview. it was granted and she said she could not understand why it was taking so long and promised to look into it. when we got back from colombia our approval arrived 3 weeks later without an exit interview. long haul, glade it finally over

The title says it all, and there are a few magic asterisks to be found in the process, but it's generally straightforward on how I did it, and you might be able to do this too.

Magic Asterisk 1 - My spouse is Brazilian and we applied for permanent residency together. If she had already obtained PR before, we would've probably gotten an interview.

Magic Asterisk 2 - We got married in CABA. I'm absolutely certain this saved time with verifying documents, etc.

Magic Asterisk 3 - I've been taking a sabbatical from work, so I've been able to handle any/all followups from Migraciones within a few minutes.

Magic Asterisk 4 - I'm incredibly persistent, and see above about the sabbatical. If you don't have that kind of energy, you should probably pay someone to do it.

With those out of the way, let's get started. We filed all our docs on 22 December, and secured a preferential turno for 27 December, which wasn't too bad. For her, we had copies of her Brazilian criminal records, passport, and our marriage docs from CABA. For me, it was my US criminal records, apostilled and translated, along with the passport and our marriage documents from CABA.

I used Monument Visa out of Virginia to handle my FBI records/apostille, and it took about a month end-to-end from taking ink fingerprints at Renaper to having an apostilled copy of my FBI report in-hand. Read the Migraciones website, it's generally helpful-ish on what you need to take with you. The only thing we both lacked was our Argentine records, which are taken as part of the non-preferential process, but if you get the preferential turno, have them before you go. This would've saved us both some time, since the instructions failed to mention that.

We drew fresh precarias at the appointment, and booked a turno the following day at Renaper for the Argentine records, which we had in our emails before the cab got home from the turno. Submitted all of that on 28 December, hers went from intimado to en tramite within about an hour, mine took a month, most of which was spent nagging them via the contact form every few days until they processed it. You REALLY want to do this before your turno at Migraciones.

For my spouse, we had to resubmit her Brazilian criminal records, because Brazil changed their system completely between our turno and when it went en supervisión, as well as a copy of her RG, because her passport was issued before they started putting the CPF on Brazilian passports. Overall, it took 55 days end-to-end for her permanent residency, as a Brazilian under Ley 26240.

Once hers was granted, I stepped up my letter writing campaign to every 48 hours, on the dot. I set alarms every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning to send them a letter, and they eventually slipped and sent me a letter saying their timeline for Permanent Residency applications is within 90 days from the in-person turno. After that, I started citing that letter in my 3x/week letter campaign.

23 days later, with no extra fuss or intimaciónes or other bureaucratic hurdles, I got my resuelto. Be polite, be firm and be persistent, and you'll get through the Migraciones hurdles, too.

View attachment 9592
That is impressive. You were fortunate. I have a European friend here who needed six years and a bad marriage to get his permanent residency. I wonder if your wife, being Brazilian (Mercosur), made it easier for you? Because it seems to me that whoever at Migracion opens one's file, they have much discretion to help or hinder. Congratulations.

That is impressive. You were fortunate. I have a European friend here who needed six years and a bad marriage to get his permanent residency. I wonder if your wife, being Brazilian (Mercosur), made it easier for you? Because it seems to me that whoever at Migracion opens one's file, they have much discretion to help or hinder. Congratulations.
It absolutely did. Thanks to Law 26240, Brazilians have the ability to skip straight to permanent residence, bypassing the two years of temporary residency required for other Mercosur citizens.

This sounds positively insane.
I got my PR in the early 2010’s, my home country doesn’t do apostille so had to jump thru extra hoops with getting my documents authenticated/legalized at the local Arg consulate.
Once I had the docs in hand, I made a turno online for a few weeks later. Came in with the relevant papers, got a precaria on the spot, paid for both the PR itself and the DNI then and there, got the DNI to my house within one or two months IIRC. No calling whatsoever during that time.
I was actually traveling when the DNI got to my house, so the courier returned it and I had to spend a morning at ReNaPer on Av Jujuy fetching it. But really really simple compared to these days.

Also, the process cost 600 pesos. Good times.

Back