9/11 Anniversary Tomorrow

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
In memory of the 2,977 victims of the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks and airline hijackings tomorrow I will celebrate living by making a conscious effort to assist as many people as I can throughout my day, even if it's only to offer a smile. :)

I was on my honeymoon in St. Barts when the attacks happened. It took us a full two days to fully understand what happened since St. Barts is almost all French-speaking (and we didn't speak French).

At 8:46 am I will take a few moments to really appreciate and give thanks for how blessed I am. What is it that you appreciate in your life?

GS

One of the scariest/shittiest days of my life.
My parents were flying inbound to NYC from BA. They arrived to the City probably as the planes struck. It took hours until we got the information of which planes had crashed into the towers and I was desperate since hearing the news and refusing to believe them until 3 PM when I heard my parents were ok.
No way to contact them. Eventually and though a forum like this one, I was able to reach a NYC dweller and have him call their hotel. At first they told him they hadn't checked in- around noon-. Later he was able to speak to my father and email me.

That year, my parents could not get their usual reservations at the Hilton Millenium (ground zero) and had to pick a different hotel closer to TS.

I was in my office in NYC at 6th Av & 18th street. I had a clear view of the towers from the corner. I was at my desk early that day, my co-worker came in crying saying that the world trade center was on fire. I went down to the street and saw the towers flaming at the top. I went back up to my office to try and send some e-mails, and see what was going on via internet, but nothing worked. I then tried to make some phone calls, the lines were all busy, and my cell phone didn't work either. So I went back down to the street, things were so eerie, noise of sirens, people crying, walking in the streets, etc. I was on the corner of 6th Av & 14th street when looking over my shoulder, in the distance saw what looked like a big grey cloud forming at the top of one of the towers, and then it started to crumble down and finally only one was standing. It was shuddering. We were shocked and speechless. We stayed at that same corner, shell shocked, thinking the world was ending, and a short time later, that same grey cloud formed at the top of the other tower and we saw it come crumbling down. I remember the huge hole of light that appeared at the end of 6th Av in the distance where the towers stood just an hour or so before. We still didn't know what happened. We walked back to our office, silent. We went into a conference room where people were watching TV and then we learned of the plane that crashed into the pentagon and another plane crash in Pennsylvania. We didn't fully understand even then. I then remember president bush speaking and his dumb phrase "we're gonna get the folks that did this", and thinking how can this be happening. My sense of security in New York City was never the same after that day. I walked back home to the upper west side in a daze, and shortly after decided I can't live in this city anymore, nothing was ever the same for me after that day. Later that year I started to travel around as much as I could looking for a new city to feel at home in and one of my trips was to Buenos Aires. I came here in 2005 for the first time and loved it so much and came to stay permanently in 2007. Me being here is closely tied to Sept. 11th. and what I experienced that day.

Firefighter Sergio G. Villanueva, Argentino
July 4, 1968 - Sept. 11, 2001
President- Dr. Salvador Allende, Chileno
July 26, 1908 – Sept. 11, 1973
Karma ??

Like Davidglenn, I am a NYer and was quite close to the towers. In fact, my SO and many of my best friends worked in WTC/WFC.

9/11 is a very private day for me and I don't talk about it much nor will I watch any movies about it. But I really like the idea of going out of your way to help someone on this anniversary - what a lovely way to honor those that lost their lives that day.

This is my second 9/11 abroad and I forgot how difficult it can be.

In the States, and especially in NYC where I spent the last few years, people walk around weighed down heavily with the remembrance, and at the same time with that same great spirit of unity that brought us together after that horrible day. People make a little more eye contact, smile a little easier, go out of their way to be kind and help each other a little more. I worked in a bar where, after the morning memorial services, the firefighters would come and drink the day away and laugh and cry and we'd laugh and cry with them.

Today I felt like I was walking around with a big burden all by myself.

I'm glad for those sharing on this board and glad to be able to share myself.

I'm glad GS_Dirtboy has found such a positive way to memorialize the event.

I'm grateful for all the firefighters, police officers, medical personnel, and others who gave so much on that day and the many difficult days, weeks, and years afterwards.

I'm grateful for the worldwide display of solidarity and support our country received in the aftermath.

And though I have found a home here in Argentina, and am growing to love and appreciate the culture and the people, and though the US is faaaar from a perfect country,

I am damn proud to be an Estadounidense.

Back