99% loss of value in peso in my time, momentous day

Alfred_Arnold

Registered
Today, April 17, 2023, marks the day that yours truly has seen a 99% percent drop in the value of the peso's fx rate (for the masses) with USD, from 4.03:1 to 403:1 . Cool to have converted at both rates (sheds a tear, awaits the Tshirt).

Even the dollar took about 90 years to achieve this feat (1933 to the present, in it's fx rate with XAU).

We should call it the 99% club and use it as a unit of measurement for time as expat.

Jokes aside, "Baby's First Hiper" would make a great shirt for the holidays.

Today, April 17, 2023, marks the day that yours truly has seen a 99% percent drop in the value of the peso's fx rate (for the masses) with USD, from 4.03:1 to 403:1 . Cool to have converted at both rates (sheds a tear, awaits the Tshirt).

Even the dollar took about 90 years to achieve this feat (1933 to the present, in it's fx rate with XAU).

We should call it the 99% club and use it as a unit of measurement for time as expat.

Jokes aside, "Baby's First Hiper" would make a great shirt for the holidays.
Pls. Explain..?

4.03 is one percent of 403....i believe that's how the devaluation measurement would be calculated (not to be confused with the thousands-percent inflation metric). The peso of the 4.03 times has exactly 99% less purchasing power today.

PS...did, it closed at 408..so it lost 99 and a little decimal percent).

The first time I changed dollars to pesos it was 2.80 to 1. That was back in 2004, and it hit 280 in 2022 and I remember thinking the same thing that you're thinking now.

And this matters because...? You can either afford to live here or not. You either enjoy living here or you don't. I'm amazed at all the geezery griping here.

First time I traded dollars for pesos was in 2013 at ~ 8:1, saw today CCL/Blue both hit $410 for a bit, made me think of my father who was born in the 40s tell my brother and I about how coke was 10¢ when he was a kid and we'd laugh.

I used to get a bottle of iced tea (when it was available here, seems I was the only one who'd buy it) for 6 pesos at the kiosko, I think it was $220 last week for an Aquarius. My husband jokes about this with our nephew when he wants money for his birthday now "When I was your age $100 pesos was worth $40,000 pesos today". We're in our early 30s 😅

And this matters because...? You can either afford to live here or not. You either enjoy living here or you don't. I'm amazed at all the geezery griping here.
Can you identify the gripe in any of the above comments? I think we've steered pretty much through neutral observation tone excepting this detour you and I are having now per your request.

Back