A few questions that have probably been aasked before

jonathanmaiullo

Registered
Hey guys,
I’m new to the list so I wanted to introduce myself.
I returned to the US after living in Armenia (North of Iran, south of the Republic of Georgia) with the Peace Corps for the past couple of years. I basically came back to finish my Masters, which I did. I told myself that I wasn’t going to stay more than a year after I returned. I have been thinking about Argentina for years now and I’ve decided that I’m going to try moving down to BA with you guys.
The thing I should mention is that after living in the erstwhile Soviet Union I really don’t expect much. Bland food, cultural discomfort and Spartan living really don’t bother me at all. If I have enough for food and rent I really don’t need much else, maybe just enough to get outta’ the country every three months for a weekend trip to renew the visa and take a break.
My Masters is in English with an emphasis on ESL/EFL pedagogy. In the Peace Corps my assignment was multifaceted but it was all teaching English, for 27 months in many different contexts. I’d like to know, from those of you who teach, if any classroom positions are available or if it’s all private tutoring. Also, what are the classes like? Are the students well-disciplined? How is the curriculum control? Are the textbooks full of errors? I’m also really flexable as far as location. Is the work situation any better elsewhere in the country? How about in Montevideo? Also, is there any kind of program where I could work for free in exchange for room and board with a family?
My plan is to just come down and find a shared apartment on Craigslist for a place to live and hopefully I can pick up some kind of work that way too. I’m thinking I’m going to buy a ticket for August pretty soon. Is this a good time to come for work/apartment rentals? Let me know if any of you guys know of someone who’s going to be having a room open up around that time. I’m quiet and low-key, probably spend all of my time out looking for a job/way to learn Spanish anyway.
Finally, would it behoove me to just bring a damn bike? After living in a number of other countries, in both the west and the east, I have found that bikes (especially decent road bikes) are never easy to find. This time before I move I’m thinking I’m just going to buy one in a box here and bring it with me. I’ll have to see how much the airline is going to charge me for that though.
OK, this has been a rant, but that’s usually how one-sided introductions go. I look forward to meeting you guys. Also, let me know if anybody has any in or knows anything about the Armenian community there. (Եսխոսումեմհայերեն</SPAN></SPAN>)
-Jonny

Back