a more pleasant Fernet

garryl

Registered
I had a drink in Sicily recently, that reminds me of Fernet. It's a common drink produced in Southern Italy and Malta. To me, it's like Fernet already mixed with coke and a little bit citrus juice. Basically it tastes like a mild and more pleasant Fernet. I wonder if it can be found here easily.
The street pavement of Palermo Sicily, wax smell of older buildings lobbies, sandwich shops and the looks of Sicilians, remind me a lot of Buenos Aires.

Attachments

• 330px-Paris_-_Cour_Saint-Émilion_-_20130801_(1).jpg
    330px-Paris_-_Cour_Saint-Émilion_-_20130801_(1).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
No wonder .. half of the Argentines have ancestors in Sicily, Mauricio Macri included.. Chinotto drinks very popular in Argentina Fanta .. (Romper los Quinotos...)

I have never seen chinotto outside of Italy. If you like this sort of non sweet beverage, have a try at cedrata (citron juice). They are pretty popular in summer and have had a comeback in the last 10 years.
And Mauricio Macri's family is from Calabria, and not Sicily.

Cedrata-bottiglia_1.jpg

Macri's ancestors were from a town called Polistena in Calabria, 10,000 inhabitants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinotto_(drink)

Kinotos, Kumquats are often confuse with Quinotos

(Citrus myrtifolia, popularmente denominado naranjo moruno en España, quinoto en Argentina y chinotto en Italia, es un árbol perteneciente al grupo de los cítricos y procedente de China. Durante un tiempo ha sido considerado como una variedad de naranjo amargo y denominado Citrus aurantium L. var myrtifolium, sin embargo debido a las numerosas diferencias entre ambos, actualmente se considera una especie independiente con el nombre de Citrus myrtifolia).

Chinotto like drinks are sold internationally

I figured they named the Palermo neighborhood for the one in Sicily... ?
It's hard to believe that they are unrelated. If you are from Calabria or Sicily, when you move to South America,
it's natural to name your new place the city you know well.There is no other city as important as Palermo in Southern Italy.

Yes the 2 cultures are very different after 200 years and Argentines do not speak Italian anymore (only with Italian accent).
As an outsider, I see tremendous similarities, and Italian business still considers Argentina as an easy expansion place, because of the past link.

Last edited:
Back