A Respectful Argentina

This country had too many "every man for himself" experiences. It wasnt always like that.

It got worst the last 40, 50 years.

Very sad but true but it is true it wasnt always like that I still remember an Argentina respectuosa!
I remember many years thinking to myself
Im glad that I'll grow old here in Argentina! I obviously didnt have the crystal ball!

The first thing I noticed when I "landed" in Argentina was the basura all over the places. I saw trash even in tree holes and every creek at human height. Of course, the people complain, but then they throw their tissue on the street after wiping off their windshield and when you point out "what are you doing?!" they simply reply that everybody does so, and that one more tissue on the street is not gonna make much difference, etc.
Also, people *paid* to keep 2 meters of sidewalk clean simply accomplish the task by spraying water on the trash so that it reaches the (usually very busy) lane and it rolls back on the side walk when it get dry, just 2 meters after the ones of their competence.

But I found the people to be very courteous. Men always offer to get on the bus before them (and I don't have a nice rear to justify so), even if I was behind them in the queue. Or there is always someone getting up when an elderly person gets on the bus.
People in the shops smiles a lot and say thank you and do small talks (in Italy they look and sound very annoyed). They even throw in some extras if you buy a consistent amount of stuff, or make you a discount (something unheard of in Italy, at least in the last 20 years).

The dog poo is something I can't stand. One can't take a decent walk because has to constantly watch where to put their foot. After walking down the same street for a month, I could recognize a number of dogs by the poo size and consistency, so they were not from stray dogs. I also noticed many dog sitter with 10+ dogs on a leash, and they couldn't care less to collect every dog's poo.

About bad parking habits, really, with the shape the sidewalks are into, I wouldn't address the parking in front of a slope as THE problem.

Overall here people are more kind and respectful than in Italy, as odd it may sounds.

The dog poo situation has got better in the 6 years i've been here. Most people carry a bag to pick it up with. There's still a few who don't though.

Unfortunately this happens and should not be happening.

I used to pick up the tray myself the times I went to a fast food restaurant after eating. But, after I was told something by a friend I am not sure if picking up the tray after eating is something good. He told me, employees are paid to pick up a tray, there are just 2 tables occupied, and if you see these other tables where clients picked up the tray by their own, you can see that the tables are dirty, and there are enough employees to clean the tables here but they don't. I thought he was rough at first, and I disagreed, but then I started to wonder if picking up the tray in these cases was correct or not after observing other attitudes: Many times I see employees that do not care about the client, they do not care if there are napkins, sugar, ketchup, if the tables are clean even when the clients pick up the tray, and you can see employees sometimes watching TV, a football game, etc. and even to shout if there is a goal when the place might not be even OK. Also, if the clients pick up the tray, this will let big companies to save $ with less employees, reduce salaries, etc. So basically I was told to pick up the tray by some persons, and I was told NOT to pick up the tray by others, in both cases I was said this in a manner I did not try to discuss.

Regarding to offer the sit to an older person, I offer my sit, but it happened to me something very strange once. I offered the sit to an old woman in a bus who can hardly walk in my opinion, and the old woman (75-80) said, I do not need the sit I can walk by my own, I will just travel up to the 2nd bus stop ..., I insisted but then she answered me in a way I did not insist again (she was not insane, but I think she was crazy). Then, in the next bus stop, other woman around 40, started to shout at me saying that I did not offer the sit to the old woman, so then I got judged first for offering the sit, and then because the other woman thought I did not offer the sit. When the 40 year old woman understood that the older woman did not want to be treated as an elder woman she did not say anything. This old woman made me remember to the Condesa de Chikof, an old woman who said that she was going to live more than 100 years and never said how old she was, she did not take warm water bathes, she just took cold showers in order to have a healthier life, etc. etc. but what I heard from her in her last years is that she was old and did not take cold showers anymore because she got sick, but well... it it is something strange in ARG to me, but it seems it exists, and is better not to discuss sometimes.

About bad parking habits, really, with the shape the sidewalks are into, I wouldn't address the parking in front of a slope as THE problem.

I don't think it's about identifying parking in front of the ramps as THE problem or one thing being worse than the other. I think the examples they're showing are symptoms of the problem. That the real problem is the lack of respect citizens here have for the rest and for their city as a whole.

I see neighbors here park in front of the ramp every day when half a block further there's a legit spot, but they just don't want to walk half a block further. I have to tip toe through our park's mine field of poop to clean my dog's poop. At a concert at la trastienda last night someone of course lit up a cigarette even though you aren't supposed to (we asked her to put it out, in a nice way, and she felt visibly embarrassed and put it out, there's hope!). They're all just fruits of the same tree, lack of respect and consideration, selfishness.

Ademas de vos, existo yo!

Back