A Roof Over Your Head?

Gringoboy

Registered
Chilling images of reality
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1729049-vivir-en-la-villa-la-lucha-para-escapar-de-la-miseria-y-del-olvido

Except for the central trash pile below, it looks cleaner and safer than Villa 31...at least inside a couple of the buildings I've been in. And with only 300 residents I bet it's not as crowded either. But yeah, what terrible conditions.

This is what Peronism/Kirchnerism generates, there is no "inclusion for all" here, no matter how many times it's repeated in public.

This abandoned hospital en ciudad oculta was the subject of a film released in 2012 called "Elefante Blanco". It's amazing that after all of the publicity that this film generated, that there are still people living in those exact same conditions after the film's release; some of these families have languished there for several generations. What I don't understand are people's inability to generate better conditions for themselves. I of course have never been in a situation as desperate as some of these people. For example, my family were all immigrants to the US, they didn't immigrate as children either, my mother was a young adult and my grandparents were in their 40s. They arrived to New York with almost no money and one suitcase each on a boat in 1960. They came from Russia and Cuba, spoke NO English at all, my grandparents worked in a clothing factory 12-15 hours per day and my mother worked in a beauty salon washing hair and doing nails. After almost 7 years of working and working they pooled their money together and bought the clothing factory where they worked when it was put up for sale, my mother went to school at night and became a pharmacy technician. They all learned English in the process; they all spoke with accents all of their lives, but eventually they could read, speak and write in English. I was born some years later, we first lived in an apartment, then we bought a house, not a great house, an 80 year old beat up brownstone, but it was a step above living in an apartment. What I am asking is why don't people try and improve their lives? Is it a self esteem issue? Don't most people always want to improve their circumstances during their lifetimes? Apparently not, but how do teach these thousands of people to change their mindset?

Your family was a family of immigrants. That automatically sets them apart. An immigrant, by nature, has a level of risk taking, of ambition and drive that is not common for the rest of the population.It takes HUGE BALLS to immigrate. That alone made your grandparents exceptional. You can't expect everyone to be as exceptional, because otherwise that would not be exceptional, would it?

hMDA5Mr.jpg

:(

If you scroll down on the original article the comments are quite interesting ^^

I traveled to Venezuela in 1991-1992, it was really beautiful and the people were awesome. Margarita Island was spectacular, almost paradise. I've heard the resorts there were expropriated and turned into military bases.

Back