A video for those who'd like to bring their car to Argentina

Their journey is just fantastic. What a geat adverture these guys have taken. Too bad Argentina stays true to character. A road block.

all part of the adventure! we did the drive the other way and experienced the same logistical issues in Colombia. You just have to play the game.

I'm certainly not calling anyone stupid or naive, but the guy who posted it on YouTube mentions that customs was asking for a bribe of $1600 (I'm assuming Dollars). They are proud of themselves for not having paid the bribe, which is great, but it's simply the way things are done in many places, here included. I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been cheaper (and without a doubt faster) to have just paid the bribe.

Although, if you have a month to sit in Argentina and it doesn't bother you, cool. The video itself showed (or commented at least) that they were not exactly enthusiastic about the process itself and the delay.

It would be awesome to have enough money to ship trucks all over the place and not have to worry about the amount of time, etc. Very cool.

I know a couple who just moved here from the US. She is an Argentine citizen with dual citizenship now to the US and he is a US citizen who now has residency here. Under international law, a citizen is supposed to be able to repatriate without paying duty on personal belongings (so I have been told by many people). Also, here, as I understand it, within 6 months of getting residency one is supposed to be able to import personal belongings without paying duty.

They were told it was going to cost them $6000 US to get their stuff in the country. They managed to whittle the "duty" down to $3000 and paid it because they didn't have months to wait while the people in control sat on their stuff and charged them storage fees on a daily basis as well.

I suppose some people would prefer to not continue or be part of the corruption even if it makes it faster. We chose to try and not pay anyone off...of course it is naive but for us we preferred to do it as 'bribe-free' as possible. That's not to say we did not have to pay...we did but not as much as some people b/c we went in not planning to.

A lot of other people set off expecting they 'have' to pay when in fact they don't. We probably paid about $50 in bribes from Canada to Ushuaia and have received emails from people who have paid close to $1500 USD before they even reach the Costa Rican border!

Back