Aaaaargggghhhh! (Oh no!)

Ozrielos

Registered
Hello fellow gringos!
I came to Buenos Aires because everyone had told me that it was dead easy to find a job teaching English...and now, five months in, I am still looking! I've been round a hundred Institutes, send my (not negligible - I am well qualified and have experience) CV to every advert on "Craigs list".
All Ive got are a couple of evenings a week!
Disaster!
Can anyone give me some advise?
Any other fields I might be able to branch into, maybe?
Rally round, people!
Gracias
Ozrielos

I think you have it slightly wrong, it is not that everyone finds it easy, more that everyone comes here to teach english.
My totally unscientific and unofficial survey puts english teachers to students ratio about two to one. You would probably have more sucess trying to teach Spanish.
Good luck you will need it.

Ozrielos said:
Hello fellow gringos!
I came to Buenos Aires because everyone had told me that it was dead easy to find a job teaching English...and now, five months in, I am still looking! I've been round a hundred Institutes, send my (not negligible - I am well qualified and have experience) CV to every advert on "Craigs list".
All Ive got are a couple of evenings a week!
Disaster!
Can anyone give me some advise?
Any other fields I might be able to branch into, maybe?
Rally round, people!
Gracias
Ozrielos

U definetly got some bad advice :p I know these ppl are hiring waiters, etc http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/group.php?gid=6181590842 it is owned by expats. Good Luck!

Just a suggestion. What about trying the tourism sector? Though that might involve relocation depending. I know a couple of months ago I saw ads in the newspaper for English tourist guides...umm...trying to remember where, if I find any info I'll pass it along.

Here in Miramar Ive been asked to be a private tutor a couple of times, tho had to decline because I'm busy with other things. I guess Buenos Aires must be saturated with English teachers. Have you ever thought of trying another city?

If you have a teaching license. I know of some schools who are hiring English teachers along with other professions.

Sorry you are having trouble. I have read here as well more than once that many people come to B.A. to teach English(i.e. make enough to pay for some of their expenses). It always seemed to me that a very large number of people plan on doing this when they arrive. As your experience seems to indicate that its a lot more difficult than people have been lead to believe. Perhaps others could offer their experiences as well. Better to let people know what the reality is than for them to be disappointed or financially strapped when they arrive.

If you want to teach English, learn how to spell - "advice" not "advise" - the latter is a noun. With the crisis just beginning, there will be less work next year. Maybe you should consider another line of work or another country.

sergio said:
If you want to teach English, learn how to spell - "advice" not "advise" - the latter is a noun. With the crisis just beginning, there will be less work next year. Maybe you should consider another line of work or another country.
The First Law of Newsgroup Posting states: if you flame another correspondant for their spelling or grammar, you will make a mistake yourself. (Have you spotted mine yet?) The former, advice, is the noun, the latter, advise, is the verb.

Perhaps create some work online? A laptop and braodband connection and some creativity can go far these days. Suerte!

You are right. I stand corrected. I meant to say that the latter is a verb. I do know the difference - but you are right, I slipped up!

Back