Aaaaargggghhhh! (Oh no!)

"Someone I know" took a T.E.F.L. course last year. Waited a month. Then had the course send out the C.V. on their mass email thing. Said someone has been discouraging people from wanting to pay him ever since, because he rather not work the extra hours.

That someone is American, not British, Aussie, Kiwi, South African... It seems that the American accent (especially a flat one) is what most companies want.

sergio said:
If you want to teach English, learn how to spell . . . . Maybe you should consider another line of work or another country.
Good advice, "sergio" (your own slight slip notwithstanding). The original posting in this thread is full of errors of grammar, vocabulary, and spelling. The OP might profit from training in how to teach English as a second language.

"Hello[,] fellow gringos!
I came to Buenos Aires because everyone had told me that it was dead easy to find a job teaching English[ ]...[ ]and now, five months in, I am still looking! I've been [']round [to] a hundred Institutes, sen[t] my (not negligible [-]- I am well[-]qualified and have experience) CV to every advert on "Craig[']s [L]ist".
All I[']ve got are a couple of evenings a week!
Disaster!
Can anyone give me some advi[c]e?
Any other fields I might be able to branch into, maybe?
Rally [']round, people!
Gracias[,]
Ozrielos"

Jesus wept.
Nitpicking the grammar, syntax and spelling of forum posts? You crazy guys.

Ozrielos - try and arrange some private students. Some companies won't touch you without a CUIT code, and I'm not sure if you can get this without having a residency permit, so private lessons and private students might be the way forward. Do you have any other expat friends who are teaching? Most of the teachers I know have picked up students from departing friends, or built up a group of students though advertising in the right places. Once you establish a base of private students you should hopefully find that recommendation and word of mouth gets you more work. Seems to be the way its worked for everyone else I know here.

Failing that recruitment seems to be a popular choice for english speakers, although given the current economic climate thats looking less rosy. There are a few recruitment companies here that source candidates for american clients. Decent money, but its essentially a sales job.

Or failing that just look at what work you can do remotely from back home.

Best of luck mate.

jp said:
. . . . Nitpicking the grammar, syntax and spelling of forum posts? You crazy guys. . . .
Only when the offender presents himself as a master of the language (as a teacher of it must).

Seriously, we native speakers generally can understand a fellow speaker despite gaffs in communication. But the poor foreigner has no good way of knowing that he's being taught incorrect, substandard language. Shouldn't he be able to assume that his teacher has mastered the subject being taught?

Most people wanting to learn a foreign language want to learn how to communicate.

He has told us he's well qualified and looking for work. He wasn't offering up his post as proof of his mastery of the language, he was asking for help. This is a forum and people type quickly and carelessly.

Personally I think the academically exhaustive method of teaching a language as an abstract collection of rules and irregularities to be memorised goes against the way the brain manages verbal communication, but that's another topic...

Why don`t you try with an ad in the Herald Newspaper?
I think most of the Argentines who are trying to develop their conversational skills may be look for a native speaker or teacher to improve their English.

You can get a CUIL without residency. Most places will ask this from you. I would look at other areas besides Capital Federal.

Who in their "effing right mind" would come here to teach English?

Unless they want a life of misery...

If so, this IS the place.

steveinbsas said:

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Or have you?
I lead a life in BsAs which I find to be quite the opposite of miserable. Yes, as one of those who is out of their "effing right mind."

steveinbsas said:

I am sympathetic to any person having trouble finding work, but in this case I would have to say I am in agreement with steveinBsas. I assume most of the people trying this are young early to mid 20's. What on earth are they doing in Argentina? Shouldn't these people be a home getting a real job and starting their adult lives? Isn't a lot of this just people trying to extend their adolescense years. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe other people see this the same way.

Back