About Airlines Fares! need help

Thank so much about the info, i was triying to avoid going to Asuncion but if there are no other options i supose we will have to take the Tam Flight (a little uncomfortable to arrive to and Airport that is in another country and cross to Puerto Iguazu and the other think i don't like about this flight is that depart from Eze and not Aeroparque :)

Anyway i we will check in this places you suggest to see the prices for the days we need to go and back, if i understand well she risk to loose her flight if i just buy the ticket from the web page and then they ask her for her document is that right?

lamarque said:
Thank so much about the info, i was triying to avoid going to Asuncion but if there are no other options i supose we will have to take the Tam Flight (a little uncomfortable to arrive to and Airport that is in another country and cross to Puerto Iguazu and the other think i don't like about this flight is that depart from Eze and not Aeroparque :)

Anyway i we will check in this places you suggest to see the prices for the days we need to go and back, if i understand well she risk to loose her flight if i just buy the ticket from the web page and then they ask her for her document is that right?

The truth is if you do a web-check in, the document is not checked(domestic flight). I only showed up in the counter because my friend got crazy panic...
But there is always a risk like you said.

It's ridiculous! I want to go to Salta on the 3rd and come back on the 6th of Aug and the price for resident (I have a 1 year working visa....but no DNI) is AR$1200...the price for non resident is USD580.....Flights from NYC to Buenos Aires can be got for USD800!

It's so annoying to me because I want to see the country but it seems like it's cheaper to go to somewhere in Brazil or Chile for a long weekend and save around USD200. So the Arg airline is losing money and the country/local tourism are losing money blah!

I want to try to book as resident and do web check-in but am too worried of the consequences of getting turned away at the last moment.

The price differences are huge. They obviously take advantage of the fact that non residents are usually "rich" tourists on vacation. I realize flights are subsidized for locals, and can understand the reasoning, but I can't help to think they're making up part of the difference on tourist fares, not just taxes. :cool:

Almost $600 USD for a domestic flight to Salta is ridiculous. You can fly from New York to Miami for half of that or less... and it's longer distance. :p If the government is truly the one doing the subsidizing, then there should be a fair price for all and cheaper rates for residents. Paying full price isn't so bad if it's within reason compared to the rest of the world.

Eclair said:
The price differences are huge. They obviously take advantage of the fact that non residents are usually "rich" tourists on vacation. I realize flights are subsidized for locals, and can understand the reasoning, but I can't help to think they're making up part of the difference on tourist fares, not just taxes. :cool:

Almost $600 USD for a domestic flight to Salta is ridiculous. You can fly from New York to Miami for half of that or less... and it's longer distance. :p If the government is truly the one doing the subsidizing, then there should be a fair price for all and cheaper rates for residents. Paying full price isn't so bad if it's within reason compared to the rest of the world.

100% agree, at the end we decided to just go by bus, but please if someone else try by air let us know

Eclair said:
If the government is truly the one doing the subsidizing, then there should be a fair price for all and cheaper rates for residents. Paying full price isn't so bad if it's within reason compared to the rest of the world.

The fact is that residents and tourists are being ripped off here, the tourist are just being ripped off more.
I can fly from NZ to AU for cheaper than i can fly from BSAS to Salta or Ushuaia. Its because areolineas is such an inefficient basket case of an airline, they need to charge alot, which means that LAN can charge more because what other competition is there to keep prices down.

Panini said:
I want to try to book as resident and do web check-in but am too worried of the consequences of getting turned away at the last moment.
I have done this without a DNI. However you will need to go to their office to buy/collect the ticket.
When i did it i would put in my passport number, which would give me an error number/reference number, then i would take that number to the airline office with my passport with visa in and purchase. I think i had to pay 20 or 30 pesos more, but thats it.

Panini said:

There's at least one thread on this.
Buy the flight online with Lan (not Aerolineas), do the web check-in, don't check bags & you can go straight to the gate.
I did this in February and updated the thread.

demokritos said:
There's at least one thread on this.
Buy the flight online with Lan (not Aerolineas), do the web check-in, don't check bags & you can go straight to the gate.
I did this in February and updated the thread.

Cheers I read back and saw it but since this thread was current I didn't bring it back up. I still think I'm worried that boarding the plane they may ask for DNI.

I know the security people won't look when showing our tickets to get airside but the flight attendants may.

Why do you say Lan and not Aerolineas?

Panini said:
Cheers I read back and saw it but since this thread was current I didn't bring it back up. I still think I'm worried that boarding the plane they may ask for DNI.

I know the security people won't look when showing our tickets to get airside but the flight attendants may.

Why do you say Lan and not Aerolineas?

In the web form you can enter your passport rather than DNI with Lan, and you can use web check-in to skip the counters.
I don't know of anyone doing this with Aerolineas on a regular basis, so I never tried it. In this very thread, you see a guy talking about how he goes to an Aerolineas office to argue for the resident price - I have no real desire to do that. I know can fly with Lan without the hassle.

So, you're worried that when you hand your ticket to be scanned by the flight attendant, they may ask for DNI as well? I'm pretty sure the boarding pass doesn't say on it how much you paid, nor whether you have a resident price or a non-resident price, so I don't see why this would be an issue. The reason people say to do web-check in and not check bags is because that's something that would come up at the counter. YMMV.

Back