Account in US Dollars

cat1976

Registered
I have finally sold my house in BA. The money will be deposited in a Citibank Account in US Dollars. Does anyone know if I will be able to use a debit card for that account in the United States? Will I be able to move that money out of the account by making Zelle transfers? Any suggestions or ideas?

Yes you can use ATMs here but you will pay 10% on each withdrawal.
Better use XOOM from PAYPAL, about 2.5 %

Contact https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/ You can only set up an account if you are in the USA. They charge $15 to send a maximum of $2999. which is about 1/2 of a per cent. You can send a maximum of 10k a month I think, but to minimize your cost you should do three transactions a month of $2999 each. I know you can send dollars from the US to Argentina but don't know for sure if you can send dollars from Argentina to the USA. So if you aren't in a hurry to get the money and have someone here to do the leg work for you it might work. With a little luck maybe your Argentine bank will work directly with Ria.

Last edited:
I have finally sold my house in BA. The money will be deposited in a Citibank Account in US Dollars. Does anyone know if I will be able to use a debit card for that account in the United States? Will I be able to move that money out of the account by making Zelle transfers? Any suggestions or ideas?

I suggest you enter "zelle transfers" in a google search:.

In the second "box" you will see the most commonly asked questions about the service. As you click on the individual questions the list will expand...

Does anyone know if I will be able to use a debit card for that account in the United States?

If you have a debit card for a local savings account, you can make withdrawals anywhere but the service charge will be higher. There is no charge for using a debit card in the banks local branches. However, using ATMs in the USA will cost from $4 to $16USD per transaction. Check with CITIBANK for the answer.

Why don't you withdraw dollars from the account and carry them with you?

I get the impression that most people responding here misread the OP.

Assuming we’re talking about Citibank here, which is now no longer owned by Citibank but by Santander Rio, Zelle transfers are out of the question. Using a debit card with a USD account, I’m not sure but doubt it - probable that only works with an account denominated in pesos. In which case you’ll be paying, aside from steep ATM fees, a prohibitively expensive rate.

Assuming you’ll be outside the country, and the house has been sold “by the book”, you should really check the feasibility of wiring the money, in US dollars, into a foreign account. Failing that, assuming carrying cash is a problem, look into having a cueva do it for a percentage. There are more stable places to keep your money.

You're going to want to check with an accountant. There certainly used to be a way of buying stocks in Buenos Aires and selling them in NY or vice versa. Certainly a cueva is another option.

No, I do not have an account with Santander Rio

You are, by virtue of being a client of Citibank.

Again, assuming you are referring to Citibank Argentina, that makes you by extension a client of Santander Rio. They are in the process of folding Citibank into their retail operations.

Back